Cutting down a skimmer collection cup?

reefgeek84

I am still needing to get a skimmer for my new set up...and the one I really wants is a little two tall for it to fit in the stand...So is it possible to cut down the collection cup so I can make it fit under the stand? Would this pose any problems and how would I go about cutting it?

How much do you have to cut? What skimmer? What height? If you cut it would you still be able to get the cup off for cleaning? Im not sure I would go cutting anything. I would probably just decide on a new skimmer. Later Ryan

How much do you have to cut? What skimmer? What height? If you cut it would you still be able to get the cup off for cleaning? Im not sure I would go cutting anything. I would probably just decide on a new skimmer. Later Ryan

Agreed (agree) (agree)

I am looking at the octopus skimmer, the external one I can gravity feed...I would need to cut 2" from the top, the size of the cup does not matter so much, as it will have a drain in the bottom... But my tank is 110gal with roughly 20gal in the sump, so the skimmer that would work is rated for 180 gallons, and the bigger one that I want is rated for 400gal...this is why I want to go bigger...

sounds interesting, I personally wouldn't do it, simply because of your resellability, if thats a word? LOL, but.... if you where to do it I would setup a jig for a roto zip (held down at the height you need cut) and turn the cup and cut against the blade. It would only take a few seconds to do after you setup the jig at the proper height, and it would be perfectly cut. A dremel would work if you don't have a roto zip.

Good Luck

Send James a PM...he might have a good idea or be able to help.

Personally i think it could be done rather easily with a 10 table saw with an acrylic blade on it to get it close and then finish it off with a dremel......

but I'd ask James first if it were me. : )

I'd do it on a table saw; position the fence for the right size cut and 'roll' the collection cup through the blade. I made the grooves in my MJ mod shrouds this way (just set the blade shallow enough to not cut all the way through the pvc) and it worked great.

When I build my DIY recirc skimmer I'm going to 'recycle' the collection cup off my Berlin in pretty-much the same way.