Chalice Tentacles

grassi

I know that different chalices can have different lengths of tentacles, but how long can they get?? Which ones really need to be watched/placed apart? Is it ok if chalice tentacles touch other chalices?

I have my little mycedium frag I got from Isaac with just a single eye. Recently he made a second one on the backside and during feeding I looked at it tonight and saw it had 1" tentacles coming out! The main one has never shown any (even when eating) so I was pretty surprised

Sorry for the stupid questions, but with my first LE piece on the way I'm nervous! (nutty)

It has been my experience with feeder tentacles on chalices for them to be relatively short. Meaning a few inches should be plenty, but don't take my word for it, I would hate to hear of a problem because of my advice.

I have had a Lobo reach out around 3-4 inches and kill off 2 of my favorite Monti's

I know that I have seen Galaxea with tentacles more than 6" long.

I have not seen any sweepers off the chalice pieces that I have... Yet. I have had some coral that fell onto the rock next to a chalice get completely obliterated overnight :( It was sad.

My other problem has been with acans. Sweeper tentacles out of an orange crush acan have reached more than an inch to get another coral.

dsoz

My watermelon chalice has 6" or longer feeders. Typically during the day they are at about 3-4"

My alien eye chalice doesn't extend them as often, but i'd say they get 8" at night. Being my largest coral, you can imagine the space needed around that thing to avoid a war.

See I'm worried becuase I'm getting a Bazooka Joe, and I want to keep it in my 14gal Biocube but it's pretty packed and I'm worried about it stinging stuff. I'm also worried about putting it in my big tank because I haven't tried a chalice in there yet.

Is that typical of all watermelons? Anyone else have a Bazooka Joe who tell their experience?

Ok' date=' what book would have that info?[/quote']

LOL, I wondered the same thing. I also am wondering which book I can actually rely on to be more accurate than the actual experience of others here. (I haven't found any yet but maybe there is one out there somewhere)

On the same subject I was looking in my tank last night and noticed a candy cane extending its tentacles out about 2" which really surprised me. Usually they are no more than 1/2" or so but this one was really trying to reach out and touch something. I think the advice to leave plenty of room is good at least until you have a chance to see what it will do. I know I'll be leaving a bit of extra room around that candy cane now.

Best advice for him(clap)

For her.. that's my wife Jamie, we share the account :-))

The Genus Echinophyllia was filed by the german zoologist Carl Benjamin Klunzinger in 1859 so they are relatively new to the human kwnoledge.

If you guys are interested, there are just a few pubblications about them, the most known is from John Wells (1986. A List of Scleractinian generic and subgeneric taxa, SE). I bet this book is kinda hard to find because it was a special issue. I'll write to a biologist friend of mine in Europe and let's see what I can get.

They are very agressive, as many other corals that are common in nano tanks.

But to be sure I'm gonna move it to the other tank ;-)

LOL' date=' I wondered the same thing. I also am wondering which book I can actually rely on to be more accurate than the actual experience of others here. (I haven't found any yet but maybe there is one out there somewhere)[/quote']

Yeah, that is a very good point. I was really just trying to say that more research, further then experiences here might have been more insightful.

Simply because here you may get 10 different answers and depending on who they come from might or might not be a suggestion you should heed. Like my suggestion to read a book that does not exist, ha ha.

I personally find a lot of very helpful info from Robert Fenner books and the WWM website.

What I would like to see in a book or topic on this is what corals can be next to each other or those that can't be next to other coarls. As my tank is starting to get full, I am finding that the only place left is close to others or down curent from others.

I know what you guys come up with wouldent be a for sure thing, but at least I wouldent just trash a hounded dollers coral, or have a better shot anyways.