Portland cement

nwcoralfarm

Both sell it. If your looking for the white then check pool supply stores. I don't think it really matters that much myself but I've seen others claim the white cures faster. It took me about 3 months to get all of my DIY rock into the tanks using regular portland cement and they are all pretty well covered in algae (Been about 2 weeks since I put the last 2 buckets worth in).

I got mine from mason's supply in Portland area.

Let me know if you want to speed up the process of getting rock. I have about 150 lbs that are cured and in a tank with salt water and fish. I have another 150 lbs that are in fresh water that are in the process of curing. I have another 4-500 lbs that are outside in the beginning stages of curing. (sitting out in the air and getting hosed off every day or so).

We are asking $2/lb.

dsoz

I got mine from mason's supply in Portland area.

Let me know if you want to speed up the process of getting rock. I have about 150 lbs that are cured and in a tank with salt water and fish. I have another 150 lbs that are in fresh water that are in the process of curing. I have another 4-500 lbs that are outside in the beginning stages of curing. (sitting out in the air and getting hosed off every day or so).

We are asking $2/lb.

dsoz

Honestly the idea is to make my own frag plugs. I don't really mind all of the work and would like to have a bunch on hand. As far as live rock goes are you talking about real live rock or home made. I ask only because if I were making my own rock it would be for the purpose of either making special shaped pieces or just not stripping the reefs of rocks. Thank you for the offer though, I may take you up on some.

Have you checked HD or Lows? I thought I seen it at one of the two places before

Yes thank you, I did buy a bag today. I was not sure though cause I hear everyone talking about #3 Portland Cement and all the big stores carry I/II type. I guess the difference might be the color which I could really care less about.

I got type I (white) cement, and type III (grey) cement both at Mason's supply in Clackamas (stores all over Portland too). The 90# bag of type III was just over $10.

It is not a lot of work to make the frag plugs. It just takes a long time for them to cure. If you use a plastic cup, you get fairly uniform shapes. I have a bunch of them that I made as test pieces that are just a small blob of cement that I put on a board. They are not pretty, but once they finish curing, I am sure that they will work just fine.

I have made the rock from the Portland Cement, crushed coral, and oyster shell. The idea was to sell the rock so that there would be less rock taken from the ocean. There are several people around here that have pieces of my rock in their tanks. After a few months, they get coraline covered and nobody can tell the difference between the man-made rock and the natural rock.

dsoz

• 3 weeks later...
NOT A GOOD IDEA TO USE CEMENT FOR PLUGS. THE COST + THE TIME TO CURE THE PLUGS AND THEY STILL BLEED AND SLOW THE GROWTH OF FRAG.. BETTER OFF BUYING PLUGS MADE OF CORAL OR ROCK OR SHELL

First off the cost is next to nothing and I have the time. If I were looking to make 10 or 50 plugs then I would just buy them as I always have. I am looking to make hundreds of them. It would not be just cement it would be a mix of mostly aragonite which is all of the things you mentioned. Not to mention that almost every single frag plug made and sold is of the exact same mix.

Why are people so negative on doing something yourself, lets face it, I am not trying to invent the wheel here and this isn't exactly rocket science(nutty)

Hey Dennis I thought that Mason Supply wasnt selling retail. Did they change there ways?

I had to tell them that I was under an account of a contractor. A family friend owns a drain cleaning service, and told me that I could use the name of his business any time I wanted to get something from Mason's Supply. I just have to call and say "cash pickup for XXX (name of business)" and they will have the order ready for me when I get there. I pay them cash and they let me walk out with the stuff. :)

Now I am more than a mere mortal to them. There is ALWAYS a way around the system!!!!

dsoz

LOL Yes you should know that best being a teacher! I'm sure your students are always working the system:)

I know I did when I was in school!(laugh) Just a teaser: The principal of my High school ended up having to pay me $70 out of his own pocket one time... You will never guess the story behind that...:p

I have not found any rock that is ready for the tank in less than a couple of months.

Vinegar does not seem to help. I only used it the first batch that I made and it took almost 9 months to finally have the pH drop.

The best thing that I have found to speed the process is to leave the rock outside where is gets wet all the time (rain or water it with a hose every day). Then the cement will react with carbon dioxide from the air to form calcium carbonate. After it has been out, exposed to air, and damp for a month, soak it in freshwater (I use my RO waste water) for a while until the pH drops (the more the water is changed, the faster this happens). This usually takes a month or so for me. Then I will put it in a large fish tank with a couple of damsels, water movement, and a heater for a few weeks while I watch the pH some more. When the saltwater keeps a pH of 8.2 then I call it ready. It still takes a couple of months for the coraline to start growing, but it does eventually. Once it has coraline growing on it, you can't tell the difference between a manufactured rock and a piece of base rock (like Marco Rock).

If you want to come look at the manufacture process, you are more than welcome. :)

dsoz

I have been to your place a couple monthes ago and you did show me the setup you have and Im impressed! I would totaly forgo the whole making my own and buy some from you but Im going to be using the making of the rock as a get to know the live in girlfriend's 10 year old daughter better and use it as an education device for her aswell. she has shown allot of intrest in the tank!

This question is for dsoz' date=' I have seen several referances online about people using vinager to hepl speed up the curing time of the rock, they all clame that after soaking the rocks in vinager for 2 to 3 days then in the fresh water for a week +/- its ready for the tank.[/quote']

I saw this as well but after further digging I came to the conclusion that the vinegar was just making it appear the PH was at a reasonable level and once in a tank it would quickly return to a high PH level. I wasn't willing to take a chance so I let mine soak for 3 months. The first half was using freshwater, the second half I used salt water from water changes.