New Pavona maldivenesis

Algae

Anyway, this has become my new favorite. The polyps are a true metallic gold with a deep burgendy base.The owner of the lfs had it for a year and refused to price it. I guess after polite harassment and knowing they had a sucker on the line (drooler), they obliged after cutting off a 3/4" frag for themselves. I also got a green Pavona of this variety, and the green is as bright as an exceptionally bright Platy that I have.I am a happy camper!

Susanne

The care of these is all over the board!

The light question IS the question

The morphology suggests that they can stand a good flow. My specimin has an edge that suggest a chalice (my green maldivensis does NOT) and has been noted by some as a sign of health (ie. growth).

I have heard of feeding by chopped up mysis and that feeding tentacles appear at night (gotta check mine). The growth has been reported by some as slow to moderate. They SEEM to have a narow light tolerance. I have heard of both ATTRIBUTED low light and high light failure.

The light on my specimin seemed to be fairly high on T5's (I am going back to further check). This one grew in about a year from 3/4" to appx. 2 to 2 1/2".

Here is a excerpt from RC:

Colonies of Pavona maldivensis are usually part encrusting, part massive and often have a foliaceous perimeter. They may be large (colonies over 1.5 m diameter have been seen in the Straits of Tiran, northern Red Sea), but are more usually less than 30 cm across. They are distinguished by having markedly plocoid corallites which reach 2 to 3 mm diameter and 1 to 2 mm tall above the corallum surface. This is mostly a clear water, fore-reef slope species. It is fairly abundant between 5 and 25 m deep, and is always seen on outer reef slopes in particular (Sheppard, 1998). Colonies are columnar, or thin horizontal plates, or mixtures of these. Corallites are circular, plocoid, usually of irregular sizes. Those near plate margins may be aligned in parallel rows. Colour: pale or dark grey-brown or green, sometimes bright orange . Abundance: may be common on upper reef slopes and outer reef flats. The columnar form is usually found where wave action is strong (Veron, 1986).

The fore-reef, or the seaward slope, is the area of reef that is the farthest away from the shore. This is on the oceanic side of the reef crest and it slopes downward. The fore-reef is home to the largest corals on the reef, because it is the most hospitable environment with limited wave action.

Joel

It was an ingenoiusly planned assault:

Unbeknownst to Eric, I distracted him by saying that a hippie had just pocketed a Maxima and was heading out the door. I then slipped two caps of DMT in his Diet Dr. Pepper.

I waited 15 minutes and then suggested that the Pavona's and the rest of the SPS's were planning on attending a Town Hall Meeting tonight carrying signs that said "Water The Tree Of Liberty" and carrying sidearms. He was overjoyed to sell me the Pavona and was last seen glaring distrustfully at the remaining SPS.

I actually got the whole piece except for a frag that they kept. I am happy!

You lucky duck. That IS Eric's favorite coral. I am surprised he sold some to you.

Thanks Issac!

With cheap shipping to Eugene, I think I need to purchase something from you! It was great talking with you last week.

I keep mine in medium light with moderate flow. It seems to grow steadily. I run 400w radiums but I have the pavona in a slightly shaded spot.