Got an overflow question

siskiou

I'm testing my tank plumbing and I've noticed that the overflows on my tank slowly empty after I turn off the return pump.

They are the megaflow kind, where the standpipes are not permanently glued in. They are just pushed into the bulkheads.

Is this normal, or should the waterlevel remain up in the overflows to just below the standpipe intake?

These megaflows are also very noisy!

It's mostly the water rushing through the drain lines that's bothering me.

Does anyone know of a way to silence that?

I have flexible hose 1" drain lines and it sounds like I'm flooding the living room.

first..ill say good call Nu2reefin......hes right...........i dont know about contaminating the entire tank but it isnt inert until it cures and you really dont want to do it. What you could do is silicone it and just put a powerhead with a venturi hooked up in both your tank and sump to keep the water moving and oxygenated for a day to let it cure. Thats what i would do....or you could just leave it.

AS far as the other noise........try extending the drain line down below the water level in the sump......but as you do extend it put a T in the line with a 90 degree elbow coming off of it to make a vent stack........that should kill 80% of the noise........

Thanks for the silicone warning!

And the drain lines are extending below the water level, but I don't have a vent stack on the end.

So, I put a T on the drain lines and add an elbow that will be above the water level? To let the air escape?

Like this?

drainline.jpg

Excuse the horrible drawing! The red is supposed to be the T and the blue the 90 degree elbow.

You actually can install the T up much higher than that...above the sump completely.....then off the T put a 90 in with a few inches of pipe.......this is just so water doesnt splash out

Sometimes you can even put a plug on the end of this pipe and just put a few holes in it kind of like the top of your durso.

This will help tremendously most of the time but FYI....its a drain line not under pressure so you can play with it without gluing anything to make sure its going to work before doing anything permanently.

You don't have a picture, by any chance? :)

I'm terrible with verbal instructions.

And does this help with the noise of the water coming down the drain?

Because it's not creating much noise exiting the drain line in the sump. It's the travelling of the water downwards that's the problem. No boiling water noises in the sump.

So does the water keep draining past the input of the durso?

Ryan told me when i picked up my tank from him that the durso that comes with the megaflow is real loud. He made a new one that was quieter.

I had this problem on my current tank. I ended up drilling a bunch of holes at the end of the drain pipe where it enters the water level of the sump, some above the water level and some below. Helped out a ton! Now air can escape before going into the sump, eliminating the noise. Also if you can put a 45 el on the drain that will help, the straight drop of water is real loud.

Here is a pic, you can see the holes thru the mesh bags, i don't use the bags anymore too much hassel and they didn't help with the sound.

P2190008.jpg

I'll have lot of experimenting to do this weekend!

I might give the "Herbie overflow" a try (from RC), using the returns in the overflow as the backup drains, and doing the returns over the back instead.

What is it about the megaflow dursos that makes them louder?

Apart from the three strange holes up top, they look exactly like a regular durso.

And yes, the overflows empty completely very slowly, after turning off the return pump.

The sump can hold the backflow, so I'm not sure I'm going to worry about siliconing in the standpipes.

Thanks for the pic!

I wonder where you can get the perforated tubes, though I suppose I could drill a pvc pipe instead.

i believe ive seen it at wilco farm store her in Albany in the plumbin section .....so maybe check some farm stores or anywhere that carries sprinklers/irrigation stuff