Bad crab!!

undrtkr_00

So I was watching a movie the other night, and just happened to look over to my tank and see this (flame)(flame)(flame):

DSCN2418-1.jpg

DSCN2419.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics but I had to snap a few off quickly. (yeah - the hippo tang had to get in the way)

My emerald crab was eating the polyps off my big pagoda. This will not do.

I've had a jar trap set up for the last couple of days. So far no luck. My other emerald loves meaty foods, so I've been using krill for bate, but have only succeeded in catching hermits so far. I may try some nori in there. Any other suggestions?

You might see if it comes out at night. When mine was eating my GSP (at night) I was able to just reach in and grab it. Do you have any big hermits? I have an Electric Blue Hermit that is in a shell that's about 2" across. When I came home from the beach over the 4th weekend he had the carapace wide open and was making a meal out of it. Note: I doubt that would be a good way to try to get it out but I wasn't disappointed when I saw it. As long as I don't get any more bubble algae I'm not going to get another one.

I woke to the same thing this morning... my emerald crab munching on my one and only blue mushroom! Argh' date=' hope the mushroom survives!![/quote']

It will. I cut the mushrooms into pieces and let them grow back into full ones. (A good sized mushroom can be cut into 4 pieces pretty easily plus the original stub grows back out as well) If you want a red one as well I'll cut a small piece of one for you and bring it with me today. You will need to put it into a container with a little gravel in it until it grows out some and the latches onto the pieces. (Or if you have a low flow area of the tank you may be able to just toss it in there or push it into a hole in a rock) For a sure way of keeping track of it though a small container with holes punched in it works best. I just don't worry about it anymore as I have at least one of each out in the open.

It will. I cut the mushrooms into pieces and let them grow back into full ones. (A good sized mushroom can be cut into 4 pieces pretty easily plus the original stub grows back out as well) If you want a red one as well I'll cut a small piece of one for you and bring it with me today. You will need to put it into a container with a little gravel in it until it grows out some and the latches onto the pieces. (Or if you have a low flow area of the tank you may be able to just toss it in there or push it into a hole in a rock) For a sure way of keeping track of it though a small container with holes punched in it works best. I just don't worry about it anymore as I have at least one of each out in the open.

That would be great if you have some to spare. What time are planning on being out in this neck of the woods?? I am heading out to the grocery store now. And need to be at the house for when my kids get dropped off at 2pm, other than that my day is pretty open. Give me a call! Thanks Rick!!

That would be great if you have some to spare. What time are planning on being out in this neck of the woods?? I am heading out to the grocery store now. And need to be at the house for when my kids get dropped off at 2pm' date=' other than that my day is pretty open. Give me a call! Thanks Rick!![/quote']

I'll probably be over that way around 4.

Wow. I did not know that Emerald crabs would eat coral. I hand feed ours krill & mysis shrimp. Other than that they just eat algae. They are some of my kids favorite critters. If they ever started eating my coral I guess I would have to yank them out of there too.

• 1 month later...