Not bad growth in 1 month huh?

CA2OR

so I upgraded my lights not too long ago and neglected my tank for water changes and this is what I get.(scratch)

2 months ago

0307091430b.jpg

1 month ago today

0524091224.jpg

0524091217a.jpg

Today

0707091907.jpg

0707092049.jpg

Rock has not moved nor been rotated. It is actually one of the few that hasn't been touched in quite some time. Looking good for the grow out competition. If they grow like these I may be in luck.(clap)

I was just talking to Jason at CR yesterday and he was mentioning that zoas and other softies tend to really like water with a higher level of nutrient. Maybe your limited water changes are actually helping your zoas.....wouldn't be the case with SPS, but since they all have their little niche, perhaps the zoas just prefer to be in less crystaline water.

I was just talking to Jason at CR yesterday and he was mentioning that zoas and other softies tend to really like water with a higher level of nutrient. Maybe your limited water changes are actually helping your zoas.....wouldn't be the case with SPS' date=' but since they all have their little niche, perhaps the zoas just prefer to be in less crystaline water.[/quote']

Yep zoas do better in water with more nutrients. I would say not doing WCs helped the zoas, but would hinder SPS and probably not help but not hurt most LPS. If you feed your LPS of course they would still grow.

Thats some great growth there Eric. You are doing something right ;)

Looks like I picked up a few more corals since then now that I look at the pick's side by side. I am a little worried about the Duncan's growing too fast and taking too much space. I keep having to move stuff farther away from them more and more now.

Yep zoas do better in water with more nutrients. I would say not doing WCs helped the zoas, but would hinder SPS and probably not help but not hurt most LPS. If you feed your LPS of course they would still grow.

You guys killing me... all this time I been changing water for nothing... all I have is zoas, no sps and I changed water weekly, 10 gallons per week that $8 per week so now I know why I am so broke (laugh)

Ahhh the beauty of not changing water in the aquarium. I started saltwater about 15 years ago when no one (stores) is selling salt water. I listened and took advice from aquarium stores and buy all kind of chemicals (calcium, iodine, strontium bala bala bala….). I soon found myself broke and my friend the guy whose got me into this mess is in financial problem as well. Like CA2OR, I began to neglect changing water because I got ZERO money for this hobby. As this happens, I began to see my reef tank doing better. I went to libraries and done research as much as I could about keep corals and salt water fishes. My luck really change when I talked to the original owner of Upscale (I think he retired now and his son took over the business) and talked to Woody at Sea Horse. The gentleman at Upscale told me that if you setup your aquarium right the first time you should not have to change your water at all. Well looking at his first show tank at the time, I said to myself I am doing it. Talking to Woody about the refugium is the next best thing happen to my hobby. At that time, I already know about refugium from books that I read. Woody gave me the push to put that into my aquarium. I own these two men a big THANKS.

I am not saying my method will work for everyone. Heck I am not even using RO water. I am just using this cheap water filter that I stumble onto as well and it is working for me. I have a lot of soft corals in my tank and a few hard corals. They are doing fine. Nowadays, I just add iodine, strontium, calcium, magnesium to my tank weekly and enjoy the aquarium with my friends and family. I understand the push for changing water at the reef stores but in this economy saving money is the right choice.

Why spend money on water for the water you have not use (Water Card) is the thought I want to share with you all. I am new to this site and I wanted to share with you my experience.

Thank you all for reading these info.

You guys killing me... all this time I been changing water for nothing... all I have is zoas' date=' no sps and I changed water weekly, 10 gallons per week that $8 per week so now I know why I am so broke (laugh)[/quote']

If it ain't broke don't fix it! (laugh)

Whatever guy told you to upgrade your light sounds like a pretty smart man to me. Wish I could get some advice from such a knowledgable guy :)

I rarely do water changes and when I do it is just for piece of mind more so than I actually think it does anything. I have some of the best luck when my water and tanks are sort of left alone. Like Impur says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I sort of live buy this though an upgrade here and there is always fun.

Now as for your problem with the ducans getting to big... I think i may know a solution (naughty);)

is that a 6line I see? I like those!

No(nono), no six line. I am one of the few anti-sixline members here. That is a melenarus wrasse.

Garrett, you know that "guy" is probably someone you know much better than you think. Just take a look around and I am sure you will find him VERY close. As for the Duncan's, now I am looking into POSSIBLY moving them onto my rocks. They seemed to do pretty well there in the original tank I got them from, but then again, he had them for over 3 years and I have more now then he did when I got them....in less than 1 year.(scratch)

To the water change subject, this is the second time I have done this and to be honest it is most likely going to become the norm(hidesbehindsofa). The first time I experienced OUTSTANDING growth with some of my corals. GSP showed the most enjoyment. I had about 40 polyps when I got them which was in the beginning of my 3 month "ignore the tank" routine, and by the end....they grew onto my wall and took off. I had about a 8 inch by 3 inch slab of GSP on my back wall:p. I will be keeping an eye on my other corals as I have always just had zoa's, Green bubble tip, Hammer and Duncan's. Now I have a couple monti's, some Birdsnest, Devils hand, toadstool, FS, and an Acro. Maybe not all will thrive but I am going to find out.(plotting)

I was told something similar by quite a few old timer reef keepers about seldom doing water changes. Basically it went like this "If you see stuff not opening like normal (only a few polyps, not fully open) test your water. if you see stuff dying....do a water change and test. If you see stuff growing....leave it alone. Otherwise YOU become the problem your tank is experiencing." So that is what I am returning to. One of those guys had a 150g with a straight up zoanthid grass. I mean yeah he had sand but you couldn't see it(nutty). I am not BS's here. If you are on RC I can give you his SN. You can ask Snowpunk, I test my water WAY less than I shouldDOH!, I very seldom do water changes unless something looks wrong (and sometimes not even then)DOH!, I DO NOT DOSE AT ALL(nono), I have, and still do from occasion, used tap water with a simple treatment for the chlorine or amoniaDOH!. And I seem to experience some pretty decent growth(scratch). OH, I over stock my tankDOH!, I feed WAY too muchDOH!DOH!....do you want me to keep going? Seriously I can....(whistle)

My SPS corals love my water changes. I will post some growth pictures a bit later of one of my acros. I can see keeping mainly softies and not doing many water changes, but from everything I have read and experienced for the SPS corals is that water quality needs to be quite good. Someone said it earlier...if it aint broke don't fix it...my water changes give me great sps growth and I love my sps corals :) On my large 'blue ice acro' I have about 1/2" growth over the past 6-8 weeks on one of the branches. the base that encrusts the rock is now shooting up multiple new branches etc. I just question the possibility of growth like this if I did not do water changes to replenish the various elements that we do not dose for.

My SPS corals love my water changes. I will post some growth pictures a bit later of one of my acros. I can see keeping mainly softies and not doing many water changes' date=' but from everything I have read and experienced for the SPS corals is that water quality needs to be quite good. Someone said it earlier...if it aint broke don't fix it...my water changes give me great sps growth and I love my sps corals :) On my large 'blue ice acro' I have about 1/2" growth over the past 6-8 weeks on one of the branches. the base that encrusts the rock is now shooting up multiple new branches etc. I just question the possibility of growth like this if I did not do water changes to replenish the various elements that we do not dose for.[/quote']

I believe that's the primary difference between keeping softies and sps. The sps require pristine water quality, while the softies prefer more nutrients. This is why it can be very difficult to keep both types in the same tank. One will probably flourish, while the other struggles....or they will both do OK but never really thrive. I haven't tested this theory, but it just came up in a conversation at CRPC the other day.

This is funny. I just got bad rep points because someone thinks that the pic's of the zoa's isn't the same....uh...ok. Well to that person I assure you they are the same. Ask anyone who has seen my tank. That rock with the orange zoa's hasn't moved since I got it. THOSE PICS ARE A DIRECT REFLECTION OF GROWTH. I have not "lied" about the growth rate. If you look at the rock to the left of that rock you will see in EVERY pic it is in the EXACT SAME PLACE. retard. The rock is and has been glued there since day one. The comment left was " pic of zoa's is not the same why lie about growth rate"rofl take a look for yourself. Is that rock on the left always there or no? I suppose I am lying about the Duncan's growth too huh? Yeah your right....they haven't grown at all since I have had them. Can't you tell in the pic's? There have ALWAYS been at least 30 heads there. I know it only looks like 5 or so but you just aren't looking close enough.....whatever.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...