Magnesium level at 1170

ringwurm

In short Friday mine was at 1100, I added epsom salt, and its at 1300 now. I had no adverse affects. I will use this till I can find some quality Mag Flake (stores will start stocking winter time).

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

My magnesium started depleting when I was doing large water changes with IO and had a large growth of coraline.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the calculator I used (my tank is 150 gallons water)

http://reef.diesyst.com/

I will caution the use of it though!! After I used it I got some brown algae lightly on the liverock. I will be using the "Product" that Ryan at advanced is using for now on. Much safer and less sulfites, plus its over twice as much mag. I think epsom is about 48% mag, and the bovin suppliment is about 98% mag, plus its made for consumption so I would beleive it to be much better quality. Ryan has quite a bit at his place, I will be stocking up on my way up in a couple weeks.

• 2 months later...
Nyles' date=' how much epsom salt did you add to your tank, and how big is your tank? My mag levels are around 1200 and I need to raise them also[/quote']

I to picked up a bag of Mg from Ryan. He said that if I used a pound of Mg diluted in water and dripped it in that it would change my tank at a rate of 100ppm (ex. going from 1100 to 1200 ppm), (with my tank holding about 120 gallons of water), might want to call Ryan and double check that info.

HTH you out Bob

I tested my Magnesium levels tonight and they are at 1170. It says normal seawater is between 1300-1500.

Where are you reading that normal seawater is 1300-1500 for Mag? I'm looking at a Farley article that states natural salt water mag level is 1280 and that an optimum levels for the aquaria are between 1250-1350. I shoot to keep my mag level between 1200-1300ppm.

Articel link:

This is what the test kit instuctions say:

Instructions:

1. Add with the 5 ml syringe 3 ml of water in the test vial.

2. Add 6 drops of Mg-1 and swirl gently for 30 seconds.

3. Add 1 spoon of Mg-2 powder (spoon inside) to test vial and swirl for 10 seconds.

4. Place the plastic tip firmly on the 1 ml syringe and draw into this Mg-3 reagent until the lower end of the black syringe part is at the 1.00 ml mark. Ensure that during this that the plastic tip is submersed in the Mg-3 reagent to avoid that air bubbles are withdrawn instead of liquid. An air layer between the liquid and the piston is normal.

This is air which was present between the end of the tip and the piston, this will not influence the result.

5. Start adding the Mg-3 reagent with the 1 ml syringe to the testvial until the color changes to gray or blue (whichever color is observed first). Do this drop wise and swirl after each drop for a second or two.

6. Hold the syringe with the tip facing upward and read the position of the upper end of the black scringe part. Each division corresponds to 0.01 ml. The magnesium concentration can be obtained from the table or by use of the following equation:

ppm Mg = (1 - reading in step 6) x 1500

Natural sea water has a magnesium concentration of approx. 1300 - 1500 ppm. The concentration varies with salinity.

Too low magnesium concentration makes maintaining correct calcium and alkalinity concentration difficult. Magnesium concentration can be increased with Salifert`s magnesium.

There is quite a few people here holding mag higher' date=' in the 1600 range, off the scales of a salifert test. I have been holding mine at 1400-1500. Doesn't seem to give more growth but doesn't seem to harm them either.[/quote']

does for me along with other things i do.:D

Mg level that is within normal limits (often noted to be 3-3.5 times Ca level) is needed to maintain the "supersaturated" state of Ca in our reef tanks. As Mg is depleated to a point around 1200-1250, we begin to see changes in Ca and alk levels. Disolved Ca can no longer be held in solution in its supersaturated state. The real problem here is the upset to stability. I think that having slightly high levels of Mg and Ca are just fine as long as they are slightly high all the time and are not fluctuating from high to low and then back to high again. You can test my hypothesis if you like. Spend about 3 months keeping close track of water chemistry and parameters(maybe closer than usual) and see if you can tell a difference in your corals growth and health. R2R2

So, I've got an article form Randy Holmes-Farley saying Mg in natural sea water is 1280 and levels between 1250-1350 are ideal for the aquarium. Now I read my Mg test kit closer and it says 1300-1500ppm for Mg as you pointed out above

I'm more prone to belive RHF than a vendor's product lit...

Mg level that is within normal limits (often noted to be 3-3.5 times Ca level) is needed to maintain the "supersaturated" state of Ca in our reef tanks. As Mg is depleated to a point around 1200-1250' date=' we begin to see changes in Ca and alk levels. Disolved Ca can no longer be held in solution in its supersaturated state. The real problem here is the upset to stability. I think that having slightly high levels of Mg and Ca are just fine as long as they are slightly high all the time and are not fluctuating from high to low and then back to high again. You can test my hypothesis if you like. Spend about 3 months keeping close track of water chemistry and parameters(maybe closer than usual) and see if you can tell a difference in your corals growth and health. R2R2[/quote']

LOL true, in short, as randy has written in the past, mag helps buffer cal and alk.I tend to keep mine around 1400 when it hits 1350 I bump it back to 1400 till it falls down again. As Jody said It does seem to increase growth, especially in my milli's.