I tested sample of Pacific Coast water, results are Astonishing

CCCP

Hello there.

Few days ago i went to the ocean New Port. i tooks some water sample home from the logal beach, when i got home i tested for salinity,ph,calcium,KH,nitrates ect. and the results were folowing:

Salinity 1.022

Calcium 440 ppm

KH/Alc 12 dKH

Magnesium 1360

Iodine concentration of 0.06/0.08

nitrates --- none

Amonia 0.5

SO THE QUESTION IS CAN WE USE PACIFIC COAST OCEAN WATER //??????? SPECIALLY FOR THE BEGINNERS to start . Ocean is full of bacteria" good or bad??????? anyone?????????????

well its something to think about for tonight, i'm going to zZzzZzzz long day tomorrow. Zzzzzzzzzz(whistle)

Victor,

The Seattle Aquarium has been selling water for years (5 cents per gallon *). If I am not mistaken a LFS up there use to use it in there tanks. Here is the link: http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=saltaquarium&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seattleaquarium.org%2F

Then go to about us and then saltwater sales

If anyone could provide a direct link that would be great?

Neil

I wouldn't use it.

It would be interesting to see what the levels would be if the water sample was 78-80 degrees. Salinity would probably the only real difference.

But with the impurities, not using it here. Public aquariums usually collect their water from way off shore. So does the company that sells "Catalina Water" I believe.

Above and beyond. That was great testing!!!!!(rock2) Did you take this in the bay? or Beach?

I brought severall buckets of sand home. Then was told it was a complete no no to use. It is confusing as to why. I sure would like to see the facts on it all, abnd the urban miths(clap)

holy ammonia! thats astonishing to me. with all the sand in oregon, I would have though there would be plenty of bacteria to deal with the ammonia, thats a shocker to me.

CCR, Oregon coast sand is silicate sand, not aragonite like reef sand. Its a compleatly different material. Only thing similar is its the same shape.

I always hear ppl saying not to use it, i wouldn't use it, too many pollutants. But has anybody ever known of someone that DID use it?

Seattle Aquarium (nutty)

Im sure its fine, UV should kill bacteria, now you just need to be wary of the heavy metals and other stuff, If you where to run it through a fine filter, skim, and uv, I bet its usable, just a lot of work if you don't live right off the coast.

well from what i read and heard 50% of people say to use it and 50 to not so i decited to do a litte experiment i went to the Newport bay and took 15 gl of waster, will do some testing on it, make a small set up see what happens than, how fast will the system be rady. will post everything that happened.

Yes i will oceanic water to change water i will do that once a month, right now we work at the coast making a frame for the house, so i have more chances to get water from there, i think the project of the house will take us some time, this way i dont waist money for gas. to get water.

I donno' date=' i don't think Oregon's waters are THAT polluted compared to Cali or other spots. I'm looking forward to your results, i think this is a great experiment![/quote']

I never said polluted (if your refering to my post) I am just saying the dirty stuff is usually pulled to shore if its not caught bvy some waste eater... and I agree its cleaner her just that exess is usually washed ashore. Just as people describe the shore as the oceans skimmer.

well back in the day my uncle lived in cresent city right next to the beach he used it worked great but always had algae problems which im gessing was from die off after water warmed up and nutrients from bieng tidalwaters now my gess if used right away would be a great thing if done bye monthly just as a boost but with polution via suewege leaks and the such and the fact most life would die buy the time most of us got it home may not be worth the risk and with the quality of salts and micro fauna cultures out there theres no reason to risk it.

I don't think any sand is good for pumps. Ron Schimek did a study on sands. I'll try to track down the results. The winner was........you guessed it silica!! It had the most diversity among all the trials. Has the most varying particles sizes as well.

But this is along the lines of the DSB vs SSB vs BB debate and will probably go on forever.

You're all a bunch of weenies!!! (enforcer)

Nah, in the end it depends on where and when you collect. I went on a nice quiet morning to a clean beach-like area and grabbed a bucket. there was no ammonia but that may be present in the lagoonal areas. when i threw it in my tank ALL of my corals exploded with life. I think it all comes down to being selective on the conditions where you collect.

Ok hommies up there, here is what i found out about the ocean water, few day's ago i went to CRPC in salem i got myself a sea fan, from BrIAN Foxy, he was mad buy the way- for taking it " he wanted to keep it for his aquarium" SOrry brian!!!"anyway let's get back to the storry, I got it to see how will it act in the water from the aquarium and the water i took from the Ocean Laguns , i put that fan in my aquarium that i had for more than 3 years, i did a water change week before i put that see fan in, i waited a day to see if i'll get any tentickles after a day, there was maybe 3 stiking out from each brunch, than i took same sea fan and put it to the tank filled with Ocean water and in like 2-3 hr the all peace was covered in little sea fan tenticles <--- my english sux didnt know how to spell it right :(

i posed some pictures below.

post-204-141867734578_thumb.jpg

post-204-141867734581_thumb.jpg

post-204-141867734583_thumb.jpg