Help with DIY open top hood?

siskiou

Now that I have the summer off, I want to finally build a decent hood for my 120G, instead of the posterboard taped to my Tek light! (clap)

One thing I love about the poster board "hood" is that I can flip up the taped on strips and have access to the tank from all sides easily.

I'd like to keep it that way for a wooden replacement.

Does anyone know of any easy diy plans for this type of hood?

I'm good at following instructions, but not necessarily at creating a workable plan!(scratch)

I don't want to have to take the hood off to get pumps out for cleaning (which is a lot more of a pain on my 60G with hood, but that one only opens at the front and has an open back).

I can build you something like this. I built this one for Brandon (Prada). It will only cost you cost of materials, and gas to get it to you. I think it was $50 in materials.

IMG_1068.jpg[/img]

IMG_1069.jpg[/img]

This is mine. It is a little more expensive due to wood type and extra trimmings. It opens the same way as Brandons.

Aqurium009.jpg[/img]

I don't have plans but I could talk to you about how I did it if you want to build it yourself. Let me know if I can help.

Shane

Your hood looks great and I wish you were closer!

I could use a carpenter guru with good tools, as I have to basically do everything with a hand saw (my husband helps, but he works full time, and I'm usually too impatient to wait for him).

If you could help me with a plan for a three sided hood frame, with upswing sides, and two upswing panels up front, I'd be grateful.

Particularly, what type/size of wood I should use for the frame, what kind of hinges (rust?), so the panels stay open without having to hold them, and how to make the two front corners look decent, without have to miter (maybe some trim?).

Thanks a lot!

I would take Shane up on the offer. Thats a good deal :) Like Miles said you can still use that type of hood.

If you look at the back it is a little longer than the front part. Just mount your eye hooks on the back part and you will be good :) There is still all the framework no the front to support it. Good luck!

One thing I found on my first attempt was that trying to attach the lights to the lid itself creates it's own issues. The main one being that it throws the weight off balance meaning the stationary part will actually need to be mounted down. It also adds a good bit of weight to the lid as well. On my second one I just made two large access doors in front and made the entire top piece so it swings up. This has a couple of locking braces that lock into place when it is open. Unfortunately it really isn't that useful since the lights block most of the access from the top. If I can't get in there through the front doors then I will likely just lift the top off and set it aside. Just some things to consider.

One reason I want to keep the open top is that my tank has no heat issues right now. Even on hot days, the fan only needs to come on for a few minutes every once in a while.

And if I feel like redoing the rockwork, or something, it would be fairly easy to just lift off a three-sided hood, and move the light up without having to unplug it.

That pulley hood is a great idea, too!

Is that the finished look for Prada's canopy?

That was the rough finish. Brandon wanted a very simple canopy, and he wanted to finish it himself.

Very nice!

But I think I still want just a 3 sided topless hood!

Sorry for being so stubborn!

I totally understand. Sometimes you just want, what you want. I will think it over and see if I can come up with something, three-sided and topless. That's a challenge. :D

Shane