emerald crab

talkalot82

So I have this emerald crab for about six months and I had him in a tank with two clown fish and two other emerald crabs. I came home about three days ago and found him on the bottom of my tank with no legs and just two claws upside down. My husband wanted to youthanise him, but I couldn't do that.

Since he had no legs I had to take hime out of that tank. since it had a plenom bottom. I put him in another tank with a sandy bottom. He seems to be getting around ok without any legs, and I have seen him eating. but he cant really climb on rocks like the others. I have one fish in that tank a clown, and one emerald crab with him. should I be worried he might be eaten? And do they grow their legs back?

The only thing I can see that might eat it would be the other emerald. Eventually it will get it's leg's back although it may not be all at once. When it next molts it may get part of them back and then more or perhaps the rest on the following molt. Be sure iodine and calcium levels are good as they need them to molt properly.

Note: This information is based A: On information I have read elsewhere on the subject (in particular Wet Web Media) and B: Seeing several hermit crabs that were missing legs get them back after molting. I.E. My experience on this is limited however I believe it to be correct.

Another Note: This got me curious about mine. It was missing one or two legs when I got it a couple months ago. Not sure how often emeralds molt but it is still missing one leg.

Crustaceans tend to be able to grow new appendages when they molt. Rick is right about that.

Just make sure the poor guy/gal has plenty of food where he/she can get to it. Maybe try to target feed it every now and then.

dsoz