fragging zoas safely

ringwurm

A question for all you zoa fraggers.

How do you protect yourself from palytoxin? Are you even worried about it?

After reading quite a few different articles I decided against keeping/propagating zoas.

I guess I could never get past the whole. "Onset of Symptoms: Rapid, with death occurring within minutes." part.

http://www.cbwinfo.com/Biological/Toxins/Palytoxin.html

RC Article

http://www.reefcentral.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=158730&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Greg

A few things to keep in mind...

Good:

1. this toxin is not present in all zoos (it could even be considered rare)

2. gloves and careful prep will pretty much reduce the danger to zero.

3. there is an antidote to the toxin so just make sure your family knows what to do if you have a problem.

Bad:

1. this is a toxin, not a poisin. that means it is carbon based and very different rules apply. poisons are protein based and can be destroyed/diminished with heat application. Toxins require an antidote.

2. a lethal dose will kill you in minutes, usually before the antidote can be injected into your heart.

3. the toxin breaks down the cell membrane of the heart/organs, that means that you may suffer permanent damage even if you do get saved.

So be careful. Gloves are good but i would cover gloves with cut-proof gloves as well. you can never be too safe. I love zoos either way.

i myself dont worry about it....ignorance has kept me safe...when i was beginning i fragged many different kinds all the time and just luckily never had a reaction...after i found the dangers i just make sure to not have open wounds and wash up afterwards...i think its like bee stings...some hurt more than others and some are deadly to other people.

One time I was being my usual stupid self and fraging Zoa's without gloves. I was wearing eye protection at least. After I was finished I got the worst headache I have ever had. It was weird. Came on in an instant and lasted a few hours. I have used gloves ever since.

Jay

I had a scare last week. Snowboardkid was over and we were doing some fragging and i was being stupid and not wearing lgoves...i even mentioned it. AI kept wiping guts off of my hands onto a towel.......

That night i was sick to my stomach, yakked a few times and had a BAD headache that lasted all night until about noon the next day. Related or coincidence i dont know but i will as well always be wearing gloves in the future. It was actually the second time ive gotten sick and suspected zoos but it was much less severe the first time.

not to say u shouldnt ware gloves always good to be safe especialy if you have cuts but the most toxic are those in the seamat family and are easy to identifie because the grow in a common mat of flesh with no real visable ployp when retracted those are the ones you got to be careful about some are deadly.