Coral Fraggin'

B Foxy

Howdy Folks..

For the sake of discussion I wanna know how each of you frag corals..

This includes SPS, LPS, Softies, Leathers and everything in between.

I wanna know what has personally worked for you..what methods of propogation and what tools you use... I think it would be great if you would list what kind of glue/mounting material you use to attatch said cuttings or frags. I think this would be a good running thread for everyone.

For SPS I use a craftsman wire cutter and I just picked up a real nice pair of surgical clippers from Upscales "thanks fella's".. That is if I cant just bust 'em off

LPS depending on the species I use the break off method..just use my fingers and if that doesnt work I'll revert to the wire cutter.. Always seems to get the job done with excellent results

Leathers I use a standard razor blade..if I cant get that to cut through I'll use some basic scissors that I picked up at walmart for a buck..

I always attatch my cuttings to "rubble rocks" that we keep in our zoanthid/mushroom tanks. I hope to start using Golf Tees soon..but its kind of a pain to find plastic ones.. Everyone has become so environmentally friendly..LOL. Seriously if you guys know of a good place to get some plastic ones let me know.

Your thoughts and opinions will be valued by all members...

B Foxy

I have been wanting to find plastic golf tees, too! They would work so well in the frag area of the fuge!

For SPS... Jay sticks his hand in the tank. No, seriously. Even though that is one of the means of fragging SPS, Jay got some cutters at Waves. They work great! We usually mount them on rubble and use "Maxi Cure". And if we're out, a gel super glue.

LPS... we've only fragged the branching ones like the frogspawn and hammer. Usually Jay will pop a few heads with the cutters. We don't usually mount those guys. We don't have a whole lot of LPS, so we don't have much experience fragging them.

Softies. That is something we have a grip of. For the colt and capnella we usually use a razor blade. Same with the toad, but lately it's been fragging itself. So I tear those frags off when they're ready to drop. I try to rubber band those particular softies to a rock and get them to attach that way. Zoas, usually the hammer and a nice chisel. Bang bang bang! I tried using a diamond blade with a dremmel, but my technique was lacking. Plus I was afraid of sawing off my finger. (laugh)

Usually the zoas are on a rock when I use the chisel method, but for the strays I try to glue them down.

GSP, peel 'em off. Shrooms, slice them off with a razor. And boy, do those suckers squirt! So did the zoas that tried to nail me in the eye a couple days ago. I called Jay and told him... "Just in case I'm dead when you get home, this is why!" (whistle)

So that's how I/we frag. I'm sure Jay will add more input! Great topic, by the way! (clap)

For SPS I use cutters when I mean to frag them and my hand/arm when I don't mean it. Then attach them to either rubble or disks with "maxi" glue.

For torches, hammers, frogspawn that branch......I take a hack saw blade and cut a start so I can break/snap them off the rest of the way. I don't attach these.

My leather I use scissors if it doesn't just drop off little frags..............rubberband them to rubble.

Mushrooms and zoas.............hammer and chisel...........now I throw them away unless I'm heading to a meeting or LFS. Don't have any anymore but occasionally I'll find a straggler.

For SPS i stare real hard, trying to figure out the best course of action. Then i put my hand in the tank, try to pry the coral off the rock, knock a few rocks down the pile which frags about 3 colonies for me. If i pretend to want to frag a piece that is above the one i really want to frag, it works out naturally. Super glue gel to a frag disc and its good to go.

LPS i use a dremel and cutting disc. Then i set them in a piece of PVC on the sand until they aren't so stressed.

Softies, rip and tear or razor blade.

I have been wanting to find plastic golf tees, too! They would work so well in the frag area of the fuge!

Man for being an internet forum admin...you do not use the internet much...(laugh) (laugh) (laugh)

http://golfteesetc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

I was thinking that if 5 people pitched in we could do a group buy of this and it would be like 15 bucks each for 200 tees shipped...I am down....anyone else?

For SPS i stare real hard' date=' trying to figure out the best course of action. Then i put my hand in the tank, try to pry the coral off the rock, knock a few rocks down the pile which frags about 3 colonies for me. If i pretend to want to frag a piece that is above the one i really want to frag, it works out naturally. [/quote']

ha ha ha!! nice!

I now use a dremel like Miles does on SPS, unless Its easy to get my hands on, then I will just break it off.

its a split between dremel and razor if I cant break, depending on the species.

One thing i will add that i think is SUPER helpful is a dremel. Whether it be for grinding the base of the coral down flat or making a appropriately sized slot in the rock i am gluing stuff to, it makes a huge difference in getting it right and permanent the FIRST time. I also like to let the glue set in the hole i made for a couple of minutes before putting the frag in it, then i let it sit out of water for anywhere from a minute to 5 minutes depending on the coral letting it cure up a bit. Very seldom do i ever have a bond that i can easily break by accidentally bumping it or it falling.

Count me in for the Golf Tee's!

I'll probably grab two sets.. I.E. 400 tee's

this should be a fun thread... so many good ideas so far!

if we can get more people...those tees get cheaper the more you buy, so we only need to people to spend 15 bucks and get 200 tee's...if there is more interest we will do a bigger order...

Man for being an internet forum admin...you do not use the internet much...(laugh) (laugh) (laugh)

http://golfteesetc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

I was thinking that if 5 people pitched in we could do a group buy of this and it would be like 15 bucks each for 200 tees shipped...I am down....anyone else?

I performed a search in there site for plastic: and this is what I came up with:

Markersred200 200 Plastic Ball Markers Red $7.99

Markersred300 300 Plastic Ball Markers Red $10.99

Markersred500 500 Plastic Ball Markers Red $17.99

Markersred1000 1,000 Plastic Ball Markers Red $27.99

Markersred5000 5,000 Plastic Ball Markers Red $128.00

Divottoolwhite200 200 Divot Repair Tool White $49.99

Divottoolblack200 200 Divot Repair Tool Black $49.99

Divottoolred200 200 Divot Repair Tool Red $49.99

Divottoolyellow200 200 Divot Repair Tool Yellow $49.99

Divottoolwhite300 300 Divot Repair Tool White $69.99

Divottoolwhite500 500 Divot Repair Tool White $109.99

Divottoolblack300 300 Divot Repair Tool Black $69.99

Divottoolblack500 500 Divot Repair Tool Black $109.99

divottoolred300 300 Divot Repair Tool Red $69.99

Divottoolred500 500 Divot Repair Tool Red $109.99

Divottoolyellow300 300 Divot Repair Tool Yellow $69.99

Divottoolyellow500 500 Divot Repair Tool Yellow $109.99

Divottoolwhite100 100 Divot Repair Tool White $29.99

Divottoolblack100 100 Divot Repair Tool Black $29.99

Divottoolred100 100 Divot Repair Tool Red $29.99

Divottoolyellow100 100 Divot Repair Tool Yellow $29.99

Divottoolwhite50 50 Divot Repair Tool White $14.99

Divottoolblack50 50 Divot Repair Tool Black $14.99

Divottoolred50 50 Divot Repair Tool Red $14.99

Divottoolyellow50 50 Divot Repair Tool Yellow $14.99

Divottoolwhite20 20 Divot Repair Tool White $5.99

Divottoolyellow20 20 Divot Repair Tool Yellow $5.99

Divottoolred20 20 Divot Repair Tool Red $5.99

Divottoolblack20 20 Divot Repair Tool Black $5.99

Aren't the tees they have available wood tees? I may have missed the plastic ones...

Neil

here just buy 5,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-000-New-Plastic-GOLF-TEES-2-1-8-2-3-4_W0QQitemZ220025015354QQihZ012QQcategoryZ18931QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh he has packs of 1,000 for like 10 bucks here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-000-Plastic-GOLF-TEES-mixed-colors_W0QQitemZ220026105666QQihZ012QQcategoryZ18931QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guess plastic tees would work, I personally would cut them down right about 1/4"-3/8" off the head, so you won't see them but that would only take a few seconds with a sharp knife.

Has anybody actually used those for frags???? FWIW, i think they will suck for trying to stick them in the stand or anywhere for that matter. They arent going to be very stable....the bases are too thin. I just like to take abunch of rubble and have it on hands at all times ready. you can always pick nice stable pieces that have the proper contour to stack pretty much anywhere as well as be heavy enough to not get knocked over by crabs and snails.

Just my $.02.

Plus if you atake a nice piece of rock and break it up your frags instantly look like theyve been there for a long time instead of the new guy.

i think they work great you if u plann on fraggin alot(frag tank) and drill holes in acrylic to hold them....... i agreee they dont mount good in a reef tank, but just snap them off. and your good to go....they make it much easier to have a frag rack to mount them too..no more gluing the rock they are on down to egg crate

Uh these are ball marks' date=' usually flat like a quarter, and divot repair... you dont want that either.[/quote']

Sorry, my point was that I couldn't find the plastic tees on the site that was first listed. Hence they were wood tees. I was attempting to convey the same information that CCR did in post number 14.

Neil