WOAH!! The things people want.....

theJenchild

He could be using them for Copperband butterfly or nudibranch food :)

You could even farm them if you really wanted to. It would probably aid in the addition of a Copperband to a tank.

But more than likely he just thinks there cool, to each his own.

They really can be kinda pretty when they get big. Just ask Frank' date=' he has some really nice ones(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)[/quote']

HA HA HA...yeah, I was over at Frank's yesterday and must admit, he has some king size aiptasia! Of course, they were barely noticeable next to all the sweet corals he has!

Yeah, his pest corals are crowding out his aiptasia collection ;-)

I've heard of some people using them as natural filtration in a cryptic zone refugium. The aiptasia eat gunk out of the water, keeping it clean -- then just pull out a tray of them and scrape 'em off as nutrient export. Sounds like a cool idea, I'd just be nervous about them getting into the display.

I thought it was funny that some resturant aquariums in Kona had huge aiptasia colonies. when I went to the LFS the owner said it was the only thing they could let grow. With nothing else in the tank they dont look to bad most people wouldnt know (scratch)

Yeah, his pest corals are crowding out his aiptasia collection ;-)

I've heard of some people using them as natural filtration in a cryptic zone refugium. The aiptasia eat gunk out of the water, keeping it clean -- then just pull out a tray of them and scrape 'em off as nutrient export. Sounds like a cool idea, I'd just be nervous about them getting into the display.

The next wave in filtration, aiptasia refugiums!

It's not a new wave, that is so five years ago.

FWIW I had huge aiptasia in my overflow box. Larger then a quarter. The do help to break down detritus.

If you ever have a space where you can have one and feed it daily for a few weeks you might get the draw. When they get to a certain size they will consume an entire cube of brine shrimp, then wait for it, wait for it . . . .. . . puke it back up. It's kinda awesome.

If you ever have a space where you can have one and feed it daily for a few weeks you might get the draw. When they get to a certain size they will consume an entire cube of brine shrimp, then wait for it, wait for it . . . .. . . puke it back up. It's kinda awesome.

OK, I would really love to see them puke up a cube of brine shrimp. That'd be awesome.

FWIW I had huge aiptasia in my overflow box. Larger then a quarter. The do help to break down detritus.

I had about 15 the size of silver dollars and bigger in my overflow. I nuked em a couple weekends ago. Haven't looked in there since. But i do think they cleaned a bunch of the left over stuff in the water column. I would find a baby in my sump once in awhile but they are so easy to kill in there with kalk when i drain my sump for a WC.