DIY Bubble Plate

downhill_biker

chewie: can you explain the mod, or post pics or links to what you did. mine is not doing anything worth bragging about. i did the mesh mod, but didn't see much benefit. venturi mods would be great.

I will try to snap a few for you.

that would be sweet. here is the plan:

i will get the sedra feeding in the bottom of the skimmer either by drilling a new hole or putting a down pipe inside the skimmer. then i will give myself a month or so, and if i still feel like i need more foam, flow, or antyhing else, i will evaluate then.

Can't login to photobucket right now. No Idea why.

Basically what you want to do to the 9000 is get rid of any resistance points inside the outlet of the pump and restrict the intake of the pump to get a better water to air ratio.

I assume you have drilled out the air hose nipples to allow more air intake right?

Hey Chewie,

While you are at it throw up a couple of shots of your ER 8-4 with the Eheim rc. You really made that Sedra hum to get 20 scfh!

Franklin,

My skimmer used to be a CS8-5 (48" tall) but after cutting it down It's really a CS8-2.5(28") LOL. . I don't have many detailed pics of it but here's a few IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0186-1-1.jpg

RC22510days.jpg

Why not cut the thing open? Just slice off the bottom and built it at your leisure. Get your plexi' date=' your drill, a router, and go at it! I bet you could build a nice bubble plate. f doesn't work then go buy a skimmer, but don't say you haven't tried.[/quote']

You know. I just might do that. I am very handy, have all the tools, and it would be fun. I could plug up the top hole, and make the bubble plate right over the return pump inlets. Have the sedra 9000 feed pump come in below that, and it would be great. That may just be what i need to do.

Of course, what would I have on the 72g tank in the mean time? I think I could do this in one day, but I would have to get all the parts ready.

What do I use to glue it back together? To cut the hole? i dont really feel like buying a new skimmer is an option, getting a controller and sequence return pump are higher on my list right now. This is a good option.

chewie, thanks for the pics. right now i am using the threads, but dont know why, that restricts it even more because my fitting is going inside of the threads making a smaller hole. i will get a slip fitting and get rid of the threads.

my recirc pumps also use the threads, but i think i will leave them alone. they are already set up and i dont want to have to replumb everything. plus i dont think they have the option to slip fit over the outside.

What do I use to glue it back together? To cut the hole? i dont really feel like buying a new skimmer is an option, getting a controller and sequence return pump are higher on my list right now. This is a good option.

I used a band saw to cut the bottom of my skimmer off. I used Weldon #16 to reglue. The bottom plate on my skimmer broke off cleanly with a slight tap on the outer edges.

Next time I take it apart for cleaning, I will get better pics.

Here's the new skimmer design. What does everyone think? I still want to use the cup in the bottom to keep micro bubbles out of the skimmer outlet. The bubble plate is just above the two recirc pumps and still gives the top 1/2-2/3 of the skimmer to settle down. Simply removing all the fittings from the inlet should help, I think it necks down to half inch in a couple spots.

skimmer.jpg