Non-Reef-Safe Crab!!!

steelhead77

I found this bad a$$ rock crab eating my once huge yuma the other night and last night half of a very nice ricordea is gone. I found the dude's hidey-hole and tried to entice him out with a small piece of silverside so I can spear the sucker with an awl, but he wouldn't come out far enough. I have a trap set, but not sure if it will catch him. So far it's got 4 hermits but not him. It's pretty much impossible to get the rock out and get him that way, so the question is:

Is it ok to spear the mo-fo in his hole and leave him there to rot or get eaten by the CUC?

He is wreaking havoc and I want him DEAD!! (flame)

If you can't catch him I would think that it would probably be ok to spear him good. Just make sure and get him a few times and make sure that he is good and dead. I speared a hairy coral eating mo-fo myself once only to find him crawl back into his crack a few days later with yet another chunk of star polyps in his claws. He lived in my display until I took it down and even then I got a call from the guy who purchased all of my live rock. He was amazed at the size and scare factor this crab had. I could have killed him after the first attemp, but i just figured he had gone through hell and now deserved to eat all the star polyps that he wanted(I had way too many anyhow lol).

Garrett

If your tank is large enough, and mature enough, a small ammonia spike may not even be noticable to you.

I would think that stabbing the guy to death would be better than having the ricordia all vandalized.

dsoz