How much is to much

TAD

For the time being I have a 34g solena tank. I dont feel like I have got the tunze skimmer working properly. I am doing 4 gallon water changes per week but feel like I should be doing it twice a week because the skimmer doesnt seem to be working all that well. So how many 4 gallon water changes a week would be to much.

The tank is stuffed full of all kinds of corals and only has a goby and pistol shrimp. It has a 150 halide and a fuge full of cheato. I really want to get a pair of picasso's or snowcasso's but feel like I need to get the skimmer working better and make sure I can keep everything stable for awhile. The tank is about a year old and I have had it maybe 6-8 weeks.

With only a goby and pistol shrimp - and assuming that you're feeding accordingly - I think you're fine with a 4-gal a week change. Personally, I wouldn't want to do more than that because the tank would start to become a burden.

True, you should see if you can get your skimmer dialed in a bit more, but unless it's a complete write-off, I think you're good at 4-gal per week.

But others will weigh in.

Your bioload is not high. I would not expect your tank to make much waste to get your skimmer going. Once you get some more fish in there, you skimmer may work a little better.

10% waqter changes should be fine, even for a tank that is stocked way more than you want with a goby and a pair of clowns. You have a good setup in mind. I say do it.

dsoz

Your bioload is not high. I would not expect your tank to make much waste to get your skimmer going. Once you get some more fish in there, you skimmer may work a little better.

10% waqter changes should be fine, even for a tank that is stocked way more than you want with a goby and a pair of clowns. You have a good setup in mind. I say do it.

dsoz

i agree with Dennis here, with that bio load you are doing great. I think with more fish in the tank, the skimmer will be more productive.

i agree i have almost the same setup with a tunze nano skimmer running. It doesn't pull out a whole lot of doc, until i added some fish and started to feed my corals heavy, then it kicked into high gear. Im running a 24g aquapod with 250w mh, i do a 25% water change every two weeks or so and keeps things running smooth