Flow Problem

CA2OR

I am starting to have an issue with my flow. Where the red square is in comparment "3" represents the pump that pushes the water through my uv sterilizer and then dumps back into "5". My skimmer also resides in compartment 3. The problem I am having is that the pump in "3" is pumping so fast that the water level can't stay high enough for it to flow into "4". So it is by passing my cheato "4" and returning into the tank. So how do I get my water to be able to flow into chamber "4"?

Flowchartmarkingissues.jpg

I am considering moving the UV sterilizer pump into the green square and have it dump back into "5". The reason I have been having it go there is to keep the top water in "5" moving. The return pump is at the bottom of "5" so the water sits still in the top of that chamber without the UV dumping in there. Should I put it somewhere else?

Water flow right now is "1" intake carbon and LRR, "2" bubble trap, "3" skimmer with UV sterilizer pump below, "4" cheato, "5" return pump at bottom of "5"

Yes, I can do that too. Should I move the pump from 3 to 4 or leave where it is and move return to 1? The only issue I have then is the stagnant water in the top of 5 which is why it was dumping in there. What could I do about that?(scratch)

I would simply have the return for the UV go back into the section that it pulls water from(red square). The total water movement through your system should then equalize. It may appear that returning the already sterilized water back into the section that it is pulled from may be pointless but in fact it will not at all affect its ability to do its job. I think this will really help with a nice steady flow throughout your refugium.

Garrett

• Like 1

Yes' date=' I can do that too. Should I move the pump from 3 to 4 or leave where it is and move return to 1? The only issue I have then is the stagnant water in the top of 5 which is why it was dumping in there. What could I do about that?(scratch)[/quote']

Is the top of #5 really stagnant? There may be more going on in there than you realize. Just because the water is not moving does not mean that it is a "bad thing"

Maybe that would be a good place to put some more chaeto or xenia.

dsoz

Now that is a great idea. I didn't think about that. How would I split it? Is there a piece I could find at an LFS or Home Depot? I moved the return from the UV back into the same chamber it pulls from and it resolved the issue with by passing the cheato but no the stagnant water on 5

That is a great idea. Good thing someone on here is thinking. :) Good Job Brian. You should get some rep points for that idea.

A "T" fitting, or a "Y" fitting should do the trick. I think that the "Y" one would be better. You would need more of the same size tube.

I have seen them at HD. They are in the section for making sprinkler systems. I have seen 1/2" and 3/4" and there may even be 5/8"

d

Just trying to help. My return pump is split, and has a ball valve to adjust how much goes to the display and how much back into the sump.

The parts should be relatively easy to find at HD. Like Dennis said, you'll want a "T" or "Y" shaped fitting and some more tubing.

put the Y or T with the vertical part coming from the sump. The left (or right, whichever goes to chamber 1 or 3) is just more hose. The right (or side going to the top of chamber 5) has a ball valve (gate valve would give more control but more expensive) that can be partially closed to reduce the flow to chamber 5 (thus increasing the flow to the other chamber). I like this idea. It gives a split flow, and it gives you a customizable flow pattern. If you find that chamber 5 needs more/less flow, just turn the valve to adjust. :)

Good thinking again Brian!