top off water question?

finch6013

I have been going to a local reef store and buying RO/DI water now for a while. Its getting kinda old. The constant trips to the store and having to pay so much for some stupid water. I live in a single bedroom apartment so having my own RO/DI filter might be dificult. Does anyone do anything differently? Or is there a good way to set one up with no space?

thanks for the info. I may have to check this out. I think the cost of the unit would more than pay for itself in a years time. Does just a bare bones RO unit do enough? Im not sure what makes it RO/DI but that is what I have been buying from the LFS

thanks for the info. I may have to check this out. I think the cost of the unit would more than pay for itself in a years time. Does just a bare bones RO unit do enough? Im not sure what makes it RO/DI but that is what I have been buying from the LFS

Actually, you can run a full RO/DI unit off your faucet adapter. Bare-bones is simply a carbon prefilter cartridge and an RO membrane cartridge. Other units have additional cartridges or "stages". A DI (De-Ionization) cartridge contains ion exchange resins that further purify the water, making it very pure.

All this does not need to be "plumbed in", but again, be careful to use cold water only.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/rofaqs.htm

The more pre-filters that you have before the membrane, the longer the membrane lasts. Once it goes through the membrane, then it can be polished by the deionizing resin (DI). The last step is good, but around here is is almost not needed.

In Oregon City, our water is considered "better than bottled water" in most of the country. It has less than 20 TDS coming right out of the tap! However, it is not good enough to use in a tank right out of the tap. I tried that and had an algae attack. It started to get better as soon as I started using RO/DI water. With an RO/DI that is set up right, you should be able to get 0 or 1 TDS for a couple of years before needing to replace the filters and membranes.

Just remember, the water quality changes over the course of the year. Sometimes there is great water, sometimes the water is just OK.

dsoz

The faucet adapter should work on any RO or RODI unit. It's just a hose size thing.

I run an RO unit in my apartment out of my sink faucet. I leave the jugs in the bathtub. That way if I overflow, no biggie, it just goes down the drain.