75G or 90G?

siskiou

75G or 90G?  

1. 1.

• 75G (48x18x20)
    • 90G (48x18x24)

Well, my husband has agreed, so project "larger tank" is a go in the near future! :)

I'm trying to decide between a 75G and a 90G AGA megaflow.

They have the same footprint (48x18"). The 75 is 20" high, the 90 is 24" high.

My lighting will be a 48" T5 Tek fixture (4 bulbs) that I already have.

I'm aiming for a mixed tank, with low light creatures on the bottom and a few sps higher up.

I might add another 2 T5 bulbs (some kind of retro) later on.

For people who own one or the other size tank, what do you like about it and what do you wish were different?

I've stood next to both tanks in LFSs, and can reach to the bottom of both, easier in the 75, but not really a problem in the 90.

Since this will definitely be "the tank" as long as we live in this house (which will probably be a while), I don't want to regret my purchase down the road.

Are the extra 15G worth it?

I've had a couple of opinions already, but would like a few more! :)

-Susanne

That's what I thought at first, but I also want to be able to keep less light hungry creatures in the lower regions.

I heard with T5s you can keep clams on the sandbed in 16-18" deep tanks, and I definitely don't need that amount of light.

Would a 24" deep tank with 4 (6 bulbs in the future) not get enough light lower down even for shrooms and leathers and such?

I would think it would. Ive never used a T5's on a 24" tall tank. I think Rich is going to maybe hell chime in. I just dont have any expirience with that. From what Ive read you would be okay either way. More light for SPS in the 75 though. Later Ryan

I would get the 90G, this has been a lot of research lately pointing to T5 lighting going a lot deeper then they had thought. Also T5's have been known to melt lower light corals (i.e. shrooms, etc...) so with the deeper it will give them a break on the bright lighting.

I'm working on my new tank now and it is a T5 only setup, it will be mostly SPS/clams but I will also have some lower light corals. I'm going to try to fit 8 54w t5 bulbs (overdriven with Icecap 660 ballasts to 82w) over the tank but I have a feeling I might be only able to get 6 or 7 over it. The tank is 48x long x 24 wide x 26 tall (130G), this will give some nice lower light areas and a lot of room for growth.

If you can afford it I would reccomend the 120G tank also, I don't think the cost is that much more then the 90G and it will give you more room...

Rich

Ahhh, stop telling me to get the 120!!!:D

I really want to, but am not convinced our floor can take the weight.

And I'm sure it would add quite a bit to the cost.

I do like that it has two overflows/returns instead of one.

Maybe if I could find a great deal on one...

We'll be combining the current 40G with my good old 20H nano, but all that would probably get lost in a 120 and I'm working on a tight budget.

Once school starts again, I can't keep doing the job I picked up over the summer for more than another month (which means working 2 eight hour evening shifts after the regular teaching schedule).

-Susanne

I would go ahead and get the 120. That way you will be done buying tanks for a while. We all started out small, then bought bigger tanks. You might as well learn from our mistakes, go big and save all the time and money that we all wasted messing with tank upgrades. Plus the more system volume the easier to maintain stable water conditions. :)

It will have a shallow sandbed, something like 2 inches, possibly 3.

Light wouldn't be a problem, since I'd just add a 2 bulb retro if I really wanted more light later.

I went over to Aqua Serene and tried reaching into the 120 (same height as the 90) and taking the sand bed into account, I could reach pretty much anywhere.

I think the AGA stands are fairly low, though. Have to check into that to see if my skimmer will fit into their stand.

I have the feeling the price for the 120 plus stand will kill the deal, though.

Will have to call around and see what it can be had for or if someone sells one locally.

When I saw Bobby's tank just a few weeks back, it seemed so huge! Was that really just a 120? ;)

FWIW, I've got mushrooms and ricordia growing/multiplying between 12 and 16 inches below my 4 bulb T5's.

Also, I'm not sure I would go with a 2-3" sandbed... My understanding is you should go deep (>4" for the value of nitrate reduction) or very shallow (<1" for less accumulation of detritus).

Also' date=' I'm not sure I would go with a 2-3" sandbed... My understanding is you should go deep (>4" for the value of nitrate reduction) or very shallow (<1" for less accumulation of detritus).[/quote']

I haven't had any trouble with a 2 1/2 ich sandbed in my 20H for three and a half years.

But the watchman goby and pistol shrimp turn things over so much, that nothing can settle anywhere for long.

I'd appreciat more input on the sandbed depth.

You might check with Albany's Amazing Aquarium they are always having specials on tanks and I've seen 120G RR setups for a LOT less then other locations...

Rich

Thanks! I'll see what they have.

-Susanne

well personally on my 24" deep tank I can say a 6 bulb setup would be fine for clams, if your doing SPS I would go with more light but thats just me, as far as your lps you will be 100% fine with the 4 bulb setup.

Right now with good success Im running 3 Itanics and 5 11k's most clams are on the 2" deep sandbed, SPS middle to top of tank, and zoos and lps mid tank to bottom, brain corals have to be in caves or other shadded ares.

As far as your question unless there is a specific reason for more depth, I wouldn't bother but thats just me, personaly I would prefer a wider tank than deeper but if you like the deeper look then go for it! its more the comination of bulbs and not the quantity and the quality of the reflector you use, the tek reflector is garbage, Just being honest here. So you may need to go with a 6 bulb just to get the equivelent light as what 4 parobolic reflectors do. Its all in the details.

Thanks for pointing that out!

But one: it's acrylic which I'm a little wary of.

And two: it's in Portland and we couldn't fit the whole set-up in our car, so would have to make two trips, which adds quite a bit to the price.

I'm not even sure a 120G would fit into our car at all.

I'd need to find something in the Eugene area, maybe as far as Corvallis/Albany/Salem.