Help with closed loop please....

Well i finally did the smart thing and made a plan before setting up a tank. I bought a 72g bow front, pre drilled with corner overflow. I'm going to be putting ONLY sps and zoas in this tank, and I'd like to have tons of flow, so my plan is to run a seaswirl in the opposite corner from the overflow and drill for a closed loop. The only problem is that I've never done a closed loop and I'd like some direction.

Thanks SBK

Not sure what you need help with, but a couple things to consider are.

• The pump need to be below the water line.
  • Use lots of unions and ball valve on it for easy removal
  • If you can get true union ball valves they are even better.
  • Make your intake for the pump twice the size as your returns (i.e. returns are 1/2" and intake is 1") and if you can make 2 intakes.
  • Don't use a mag drive or equal for the closed loop, go with a true external pump and if you can get a pressure rated one.

Not sure what else you need to know.

Well for the hole sizes to drill first get the bulkheads and then drill the size that they specify. I would highly reccomend getting the heavy duty bulkheads, LINK. The hole sizes are also on that page.

As for a pump size I would get a 1200 gph external pressure rated pump, the Panworld pumps are nice and they are relativly quiet. If you want dead silent you will not beat the T4 Pump but they will add heat to your tank.

As for where to drill, I cannot tell you that without see the tank.

Honestly, go with an external, I was going to run a mag 9.5 and Rich told me I would need more flow...I was convinced it would be fine...story short.... I have now have a gen X external pump.

If you want random flow I would go with an oceansmotions, I love mine!!!!!!!

The sea swirls will do just as good if not better then the oceansmotion but they do cost more.

And one thing on hole location, for your intake just drill somewhere low and in the back of your tank. Don't go to high otherwise you might create a votech that sucks in air from the surface. For your returns I would go up and over the top if you can.

Keep in mind that the only head pressure that cancels out in a closed loop setup is the vertical height of the returns equal to the vertical distance of the drain. Any other plumbing fittings (OM, ells, 45s valves,etc) and plumbing above the drains will restrict the pump as normal.

Why go over the back? Well its less drilling which is good, it keeps the plumbing out of you tank, plus the sea swirls are going to be on the top of your tank right not in the tank. So why would you want the plumbing for them to be inside the tank. Whoops I thought you were going with sea swirls, if not then yes drill like you said and use the loc lines, but I would use an oceanmotion device like brandon mentioned to give more random flow.

As for a pump, get the Genx or something similar and NOT a mag drive, they (mag) are hot and very noisy and the do NOT handle pressure well from the distance and plumbing.

I'm going to be running the return from my sump through the sea swirl, and drill the back for a closed loop. the bottom of the tank is already drilled for 1 return, and 1 drain, i'm just going to run a T off the sump return pump, on one side just a 45 elbow, throtled down, and on the other the sea swirl, that should give me pretty random flow right? then I was going to run 3 holes across the middle of the tank, its 4' long so i'm thinking like 11 or 12" apart, and the middle on just have constant flow, the other two plumbed together with a sqwd.

thoughts?

SBK

SQWD or squid will reduce your flow by 40 to 50%, or so I've been told. I own one brand new in the box, I never used it due to that fact.

Have you looked at the hydro-flo device? Or an oceansmotion 4-way?

Don't forget the more elbows or turns that you put in the plumbing from the pump the more flow reduction to the tank.IMO

it sounds like you are running the same type of set up.... The Gen X will be much better!!! Do not go with the sqwd, get an oceansmotions if you are going that route. Why are you splitting the return off the sump? Why not just run the all the return water from the sump to a sea swirl?

SQWD or squid will reduce your flow by 40 to 50%, or so I've been told. I own one brand new in the box, I never used it due to that fact.

Have you looked at the hydro-flo device? Or an oceansmotion 4-way?

The oceansmotion is a cool product, over $300 kinda hurts the pocket book as i still need a pump for CL, return pump, skimmer, calcium reactor..... well you get the idea.

Has anyone had any experience with the hydro-flo? Does it restrict flow rates like the SCWD? Can you hook it to a bulkhead? it says flow rates of up to 350 or something... i guess if I split that 1200gph Gen-x into 3 with a 4' head height i'd probably be in that 300gph per outlet range right???

errrrrr I hate plumbing things it always makes me feel like DOH!

How do you figure that the OM is over $300. LINK

Just get the OM Squirt for the closed loop and drill 4 holes for the returns and there you go...

Or you could go with a Tunze stream setup for a little more and skip the whole plumbing part and you will use a lot less power too. That's what I'm putting in my new 130G tank...

Depending how much space you have on the top of your tank, you can drill a couple of holes on the top and put the returns in there... You might want to check the classified forum for the 120 gal eqiutment sale, there is a pcx-40 for sale that would be perfect for the closed loop. I love my oceansmotions...If you want help with plumbing I would be happy to hel...

Oh my bad I did not see that you lived in bend...if you want you can call me when the time comes and run ideas by me... I learned a whole bunch by doing mine...

Yes, 1000gph will be plenty I have the pcx-40 with the OM and everything is happy...any more and I think a bunch of sand would be movig around...Plus if you were wanting to go with the pcx-40 it is like 1100 gal an hour at zero ft of head....

The squirt is only rated at 1000gph... do you think thats enough?

Thanks for the offer reefgeek but I live in Bend. Pretty far... but if you wanna drive it.. heheh

50 gal corner pentagon... I did all my holes for the returns on the top of my tank... I did this for a couple of reasons, first and foremost, I want less holes in the back of my tank to reduce the many pionts of leaking that would be there if I had an extra four holes... As for placing the holes, which ones?

Ok here is the video I told you I would take...It is not the best, but pay attention to the blue tipped acro, I was shooting it when there was no flow on it and then when the flow was on it and watch the anemone and galaxea... the galaxea is on the sand bed and about 18" from the intial flow source...

th_Picstobeedited99234.jpg