My 55 gallon setup

AmySC

Just started this hobby about 9 months ago. Here are the pictures of my tank. I don't have any SPS, because I don't have a MH light setup. I know that it looks cramped and the LPS corals are very close to each other, but I plan to weed my corals down a bit. What I really need help with is my rock work....I can't seem to get mine as nice as the others on the forum.

2008323.jpg

2008324.jpg

2008325.jpg

2008326.jpg

2008327.jpg

2008328.jpg

2008329.jpg

2008330.jpg

Cool selection of lps. Nice diversity. Looking great:D

As for moving rocks around, Its all about trial and error. Just keep working at it till you like it. Seems to me the more random stacking works better than piling one on top of the other. You might want to try epoxy to get them to stay where you want.

Keep it up!

looks good. i like a lot of those corals and things look healthy. as far as rock work, i agree with trial and error. i dont know what you are going for, but if you want open spaces like archways and such, you will need some epoxy and some patience trying to get things to balance. put a couple larger plain rocks on bottom and bridge with a longer rock, and do this over and over again until you like it.

• 2 months later...

and finally these are my favorite corals in my tank

Thanks Miles for helping me expand my zoo farm and giving me a great deal on the duncans...they're growing super fast. My pictures aren't clear because my camera sucks I'll post better ones when I get a new camera.

2008335.jpg

zoo_7-17-15-1-1.jpg

10192008124.jpg

10192008048.jpg

10192008038.jpg

10192008051.jpg

10192008054.jpg

10192008060.jpg

10192008062.jpg

GreenSkirtOrangeMouthZoanthids.jpg

nice 55, you dont need metal halide for sps! go with some t5's-less heat. my lfs has some in a 55 gal. w/ 4-54w t5s, there on the bottom of the tank with some good growth.

i am buying a 6 bulb t5 fixture soon and going to add some sps myself.

Thats a matter of opinion :). Heat really isn't that much of a difference. T5s will successfully grow corals. Halides look WAY prettier, and it seems halides bring out brighter colors in sps :) I really like how roy(stylaster) referred to t5's and metal halides come join the light side of the force young coral jedi master(laugh). cost is close to the same on initial set-up. I find myself replacing my t5's twice as much as my halides because they shift in color pretty quickly, and i'm not saying they have to be changed based on par values, just that their color shifts to a less deseriable spectrum!! Just my experience!! I tried to do a side by side comparison of metal halide to t5, but I couldn't get any t5er's to participate!! or anyone for that matter!! here is a link for your enjoyment http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8654 hope my 2 cents helps