Rodi filters?

xxkenny90xx

Hey can anybody help me find some replacement filters for my rodi? I have an air water ice typhoon compact 3 (75gpd). It's a 5 chamber system (3 big vertical filters and 2 smaller horizontals on top). I'm sure the manufacturer could hook me up but I'm hoping to find some that are cheaper and I don't really know what to look for. Thanks guys. 

Edited by xxkenny90xx

5 years...yikes lol!

so carbon blocks should be replaced every 6-9 months. Your DI section doesn’t appear to be one that opens and is replaceable, so you’ll likely have to replace with an inline sealed one like you have or buy a DI add on chamber (similar to the 3 vertical filters) that has a refillable cartridge. 

I would check on Bulk Reef Supply, they do “kits” that come with 3 filters and also sell DI add on kits too. Sounds like you’ve been kinda skating by with low tap TDS for all these years but really should swap it all out. I would assume your membrane is doing all the work at this point aside from some sediment filtration the pre filters are doing.

also, if you want a good membrane, look at a spectrapure 99% rejection rate membrane (I believe they are 90gpd usually). Most reefers swap membranes every 1-2 years but some use them longer.

8 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

5 years...yikes lol!

so carbon blocks should be replaced every 6-9 months. Your DI section doesn’t appear to be one that opens and is replaceable, so you’ll likely have to replace with an inline sealed one like you have or buy a DI add on chamber (similar to the 3 vertical filters) that has a refillable cartridge. 

I would check on Bulk Reef Supply, they do “kits” that come with 3 filters and also sell DI add on kits too. Sounds like you’ve been kinda skating by with low tap TDS for all these years but really should swap it all out. I would assume your membrane is doing all the work at this point aside from some sediment filtration the pre filters are doing.

also, if you want a good membrane, look at a spectrapure 99% rejection rate membrane (I believe they are 90gpd usually). Most reefers swap membranes every 1-2 years but some use them longer.

Thanks for the info. So basically I need ANY pack one 3 filters from BRS, a bag of carbon, and a new di section? 

I would get this membrane, pretty much known as the best:

https://www.aquacave.com/spectrapure-spectraselect-plus-99-percent-rejection-90-gpd-ro-membrane-mem-sp-0090.html

You could just do this kit also:

https://www.aquacave.com/replacement-cartridge-set-for-spectrapure-maxpure-ro-di-systems.html

what you would do is use 2 of the vertical chambers for pre filters, remove your old DI, and reroute your piping through the final filter housing to become your new DI chamber. You’d essentially be turning your 4 stage into a 3 stage. Honestly, with 24 TDS you’ll be just fine doing this.

you could do a kit from BrS as well but I’d stick with the spectrapure membrane at a minimum. Shop around, might be cheaper elsewhere, just using that for reference.

• Like 1

I purchased a kit from AWI the first time i needed replacements for my Typhoon Extreme.  You can look on their site for the four pack and then find the same (or very similar) spec filters on BRS or Amazon if you want to save a few bucks or splurge a bit on an upgrade in quality.

Edited by Krux
  • Thanks 1

amazon baby.  99% of membranes are the same size for consumer use.  I buy cheap 5 micron or 1 micron spun filters on amazon, I replace every 2-3 months.  You ABSOLUTELY want a refillable DI cartridge and some quality.. COLOR CHANGING di resin.  

spectra pure does make solid RO filters. 

cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok let me ask you guys this. I am all for getting rid of my di part and just putting the di in one of the vertical housings, but I do use this for RO drinking water occasionally as well. Would the di bipass valve still work ( does the water just flow through the RO part) or would I no long be able to make RO water? If that's a no go then I should probably buy an add on vertical filter housing correct?