Red Sea Skimmers?

Reefer503

I'm looking to get a larger skimmer and currently have a Reef Octopus and it's been a great little skimmer. I was wondering if anyone has used any of the new Red Sea skimmer line and if they would recommend them or not. I like how they have the built-in head cleaner and waste removal line. 

Used the Prizm Series Many years ago, and what a piece of $hit!! Though as the newer models just appear to be copies of the Skimz line, I'm sure they will work fine. They use the Sicce needle wheel pump, which is a good one, though I have yet to see an optional air intake control to fine tune size of bubbles, rather just a water level adjustment. 

Seems like cone skimmers based on Sicce PSK pumps are becoming something of a commodity.  Aquamaxx, BubbleMagus, Eshopps, IceCap all have similar lines.  However, I like how Red Sea is actually trying to add some innovation here with their "FoamView" window and manual neck cleaner.  I always wanted to try a motorized neck cleaner, but it didn't seem worth the 150+ bucks when a paper towel can do the same job. This line looks interesting.  Color me intrigued.

47 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Seems like cone skimmers based on Sicce PSK pumps are becoming something of a commodity.  Aquamaxx, BubbleMagus, Eshopps, IceCap all have similar lines.  However, I like how Red Sea is actually trying to add some innovation here with their "FoamView" window and manual neck cleaner.  I always wanted to try a motorized neck cleaner, but it didn't seem worth the 150+ bucks when a paper towel can do the same job. This line looks interesting.  Color me intrigued.

The manual neck cleaner is a cool feature, especially for a “standard offering”. Will be nice to see others doing this too in the future (Deltec has one also).

I will say, motorized neck cleaners are worth the money. I had one on my last system and only cleaned the cup/neck/swabbie every six months or more. Neck was always clean, just getting gunk off the actual blade. Several other members use them too on large scale systems with great results (almost too good, keeps the skimmers effeciency at max all the time basically).

Im really impressed with the amazing body shapes all the skimmers are coming with these days! Must be some cool forming processes to make them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

A local shop in SE says they are junk. I asked cause I've never seen a skimmer like the red sea, seemed to be pulling some nasty stuff though. 

How long have they used the new Red Sea skimmers? They are brand new to the market from what I understand. If they are talking about the Prisms that Nick referenced above then absolutely yes they are junk. These new ones should be pretty decent 

24 minutes ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

It looks like a canister filter/ skimmer, but in the sump. No clue how long or which one. Doesn't look like a regular skimmer. I only asked him about it cause it was very unique compared to the normal skimmers you see.

You are referring to the C Skim. Yes it is not a great skimmer. 

RRS50203-2.jpg?1517494203

These are the new lineup

reefclean-skimmer-red-sea-2-770x539.jpg

• Like 2