ATO Pump Suggestion

Bevo5

Need some pump suggestions...

Got a 2nd tank across the room from my ATO reservoir. I need a pump that can get water across the room - about 15-20 feet and then up into the tank (48in high - no sump). I was thinking something like the pump on the Tunze ATO that uses a really small diameter tube so I can hide it easily - but will that have enough power to get it all the way to the tank? 

Thanks for any ideas.

41 minutes ago, Bevo5 said:

Need some pump suggestions...

Got a 2nd tank across the room from my ATO reservoir. I need a pump that can get water across the room - about 15-20 feet and then up into the tank (48in high - no sump). I was thinking something like the pump on the Tunze ATO that uses a really small diameter tube so I can hide it easily - but will that have enough power to get it all the way to the tank? 

Thanks for any ideas.

A peristaltic pump would be good for this job.  They can pump a long ways through very small tubing.

Here is a pretty nice one:

https://www.avastmarine.com/products/peristaltic-pump-for-auto-top-off

we have always felt that peristaltic pumps are the best choice when moving small amounts of water.  Quality peristaltic pumps, also known as dosing pumps, provide very consistent flow rates and require little maintenance.  Their anti-siphon characteristic is an important feature concerning evaporation replacement.  This allows you to place your top-off reservoir anywhere in relation to your tank, sump, or kalk stirrer.  With traditional water pumps, situating the top-off reservoir above the level of your sump could lead to siphoning and overflow unless specifically designed otherwise.  With a peristaltic pump, you get a precise amount of water delivered exactly where you want it, and not a drop more.  Our pump is capable of delivering water at up to 20 feet of head pressure.  That's several stories up or down, and hundreds of feet horizontally.  No need to have your top-off reservoir under your tank.  You can keep it out in the garage on the other side of the house!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xmas_one said:

I’m cheap, try an aqualifter. If one doesn’t work, two in series will for sure.

Same here!  Always looking to spend less because this hobby can sure add up!

That's all I used to use on the 450 gallon system until moving the RODI downstairs a level. From downstairs, could not get 4 aqualifters to do the job, gave up and went with one of these 36 dollar peristaltic pumps:

https://www.amazon.com/DC12V-Peristaltic-dosing-Tygon-deliver/dp/B01DER02OE

31aw0xLZMEL.jpg

These are so darn reliable and powerful, but are noisy.  I also use them to run the calcium reactor and the kalk topoff.  All from the garage below.  They require a 12v wall wart to power, but those should be cheap or free if they are laying around...

I also use dual aqualifters on my son's tank for about 6' of head.  They work great, but I do occasionally have to replace or rebuild an aqualifter.

The avast is kind of a plug and play for those who can justify the expense.  Quiet, powerful and ready to go...

• Like 2

Apex PMUP with AC adapter is 50 bucks and can do 13' of head pressure, utilizes john guest push fittings and standard RO tubing and operates independently of a controller.  Not sure if that would hit your needs, I have one and it isn't silent but it moves a decent quantity of water quickly.  Mine cycles on for 5 or 6 seconds every few hours.

3 hours ago, TheClark said:

A peristaltic pump would be good for this job.  They can pump a long ways through very small tubing.

2nd that! Its the exact reason I went with an AVAST ATO this time around as my reservoir is on the other-side of the room. I ran the RO Tubing along the baseof the wall with the ethernet cable. Dan's suggestion of 2 aqualifters in Series would also work as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Exodus said:

2nd that! Its the exact reason I went with an AVAST ATO this time around as my reservoir is on the other-side of the room. I ran the RO Tubing along the baseof the wall with the ethernet cable. Dan's suggestion of 2 aqualifters in Series would also work as well.

Depending on how in depth you want to go on the aesthetics they make baseboards that have grooves on the back side designed to hold water lines so you could run it around the room and have it invisible... we looked into those for our kitchen to run water to the icemaker.

Edited by Krux
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Krux said:

Depending on how in depth you want to go on the aesthetics they make baseboards that have grooves on the back side designed to hold water lines so you could run it around the room and have it invisible... we looked into those for our kitchen to run water to the icemaker.

Great Idea had no clue about that. As it currently is situated you can't see them as they run from the reservoir behind the entertainment center, then behind the subwoofer 7 Lamp and when it goes around the wall it follows under a long window covered by the curtains to behind the tank, the only time you really see them is when the curtains happen to be open, but I have them running straight with typical mounts along the wall. In the future I will keep that in mind that these exist. :)

Wow thanks for all the great suggestions. I’m going to spend some time researching now. 

Another issue is it’s a 180g tank. I go through about 3 or so gallons on my 200 each day. This one will have glass tops so I imagine maybe 1 or 2 gallons a day. So have to sort out how much water these pumps can move without needing to be on 24/7. 

• Like 1