Looking for some chaeto or other refugium mavro algae for my sump.

Brian Tesch

16 minutes ago, Brian Tesch said:

So.. I metled my cheato with one of those ebay UFO lights so I was wondering if anyone coming to the meeting has sone surplous macro to fill the void. Let me know.

Thanks!

Hey Brian - If I happen to make it home before heading to the meeting tomorrow I will try and bring you some.  Just not sure how the day will go.

5 hours ago, albertareef said:

Hey Brian - If I happen to make it home before heading to the meeting tomorrow I will try and bring you some.  Just not sure how the day will go.

Thanks for the offer Sean dont go out of your way but if you can I would definetly apreciate a piece.

2 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

Aww, that's too bad Brian.  I was hopeful for that light but fuge lighting has proven more difficult than anticipated for me as well.  

If you're looking for something new, I've been having crazy good luck finally with an AI Prime.  Way overkill but it works really well. 

Yeah, I was and still am hopeful. I intend to raise the light higher off the water this time and will aclimate the chaeto using a couple scrap pieces of screen door mesh. I set the fuge up and left town for a week not giving it anytime to acclimate and I may have had the timer on for too long aswell.

2 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

i can bring chaeto . let me know if you still need some

Thanks for the offer many, if you could bring a small piece incase Sean isnt able to bring some I would certainly appreciate it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Tesch said:

Thanks for the offer Sean dont go out of your way but if you can I would definetly apreciate a piece.

Yeah, I was and still am hopeful. I intend to raise the light higher off the water this time and will aclimate the chaeto using a couple scrap pieces of screen door mesh. I set the fuge up and left town for a week not giving it anytime to acclimate and I may have had the timer on for too long aswell.

Thanks for the offer many, if you could bring a small piece incase Sean isnt able to bring some I would certainly appreciate it.

I should be able to get this to you today so looks like you should get a couple batches. I also had a challenge getting mine started until I reduce some flow in the refugium - had a small power head in there (about 20 gallon tank) and the tubulance would cause it to break up then melt. Not sure if it was related but once I removed that improved lighting (two variables I know) things really took off. Just using an eBay growlight. 

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

I should be able to get this to you today so looks like you should get a couple batches. I also had a challenge getting mine started until I reduce some flow in the refugium - had a small power head in there (about 20 gallon tank) and the tubulance would cause it to break up then melt. Not sure if it was related but once I removed that improved lighting (two variables I know) things really took off. Just using an eBay growlight. 

intriguing, so your thinking the flow was a factor in the cheato melting? I thought extra flow in the refuge to get it to tumble for light to be distributed evenly was considered the best way to get it to grow. I know if there is insufficient lighting the cheato turns a much darker green, gets brittle and breaks apart.

7 minutes ago, Exodus said:

intriguing, so your thinking the flow was a factor in the cheato melting? I thought extra flow in the refuge to get it to tumble for light to be distributed evenly was considered the best way to get it to grow. I know if there is insufficient lighting the cheato turns a much darker green, gets brittle and breaks apart.

Yeah - not really sure as I had a couple factors overlapping but I think there was still adequate light originally but I kept losing cheato balls as they physically broke up then would disintegrate. Could have been completely unrelated but does great now without the extra flow. Just thought I would throw it out there as a possible complicating factor as it seems counter intuitive. 

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

Yeah - not really sure as I had a couple factors overlapping but I think there was still adequate light originally but I kept losing cheato balls as they physically broke up then would disintegrate. Could have been completely unrelated but does great now without the extra flow. Just thought I would throw it out there as a possible complicating factor as it seems counter intuitive. 

Possibly simular in my tank originally I had only my siphone line going into a filter sock, this ment when I restarted the pump there were minutes of high turbulence /flow when the bean and animal overflow sucked air. I have routed all 3 pipes into filter sock since then. I think the chaotic flow was a problen as it broke up the ball of chaeto over time. 

34 minutes ago, Brian Tesch said:

Possibly simular in my tank originally I had only my siphone line going into a filter sock, this ment when I restarted the pump there were minutes of high turbulence /flow when the bean and animal overflow sucked air. I have routed all 3 pipes into filter sock since then. I think the chaotic flow was a problen as it broke up the ball of chaeto over time. 

BTW - I managed to grab a bag full for you.  Headed over there early to help set up and will have it for you when you get there.

• Thanks 1