TOP SNAIL TROCHUS NILOTICUS

danlu_gt

I first got two of these at CnC in May of 2017. At the time, they were already larger than the usual black trochus snails, maybe close to 1" size. Within a few months, I noticed they grow pretty fast and was intrigued to find more info. As a kid growing up in Taiwan, my parents would take us kids to the coast. I remember street vendors selling large polished triangular snails which resembled these guys. After some googling (which is harder without know what these guys are called), I found that they are being activity breed with giant clams. Fully grown can reach 15cm across. Mine have grown to slightly smaller than baseball size. According to G.A.HESLINGA and A. HILLMANN, they can be easily captive breed. Here the doc I found:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwZ8-4sMhZ0ONWI1MzdjZTctMWUxMy00MzQ5LWI2ZTgtMGE3MDNkM2ZhOWYy/edit?hl=en

I'm eager to see if mine would reach 15cm and when they will start spawning.b8f202f8a049bb43420933853b557545.jpgaae39cf4060c2d2051580e56431ad487.jpga6909c86049ce5a16a1f1d282ee19c03.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I literally just purchased a pair of these last night from Garrett at Premium.  Mine are not nearly that big but he did explain how big they can get.  Funny timing you have posting this.  Regular Trochus breed regularly in my tank so we'll see what these do.  That's really impressive how big yours are!
I also got lots of baby regular trochus but I only see 1mm size or smaller for months. I'm not sure why they don't get bigger?

Do triggers eat snails?  I get a survivor every 2-3 months which seems enough to keep them going.  
My triggers probably ignore things that small. I think my wrasses ate all tiny ones in my DT. I have 2 frag tanks connected are where I see tons of 1mm babies.

• Like 1

Red banded trochus ones i use to and they have spawned several times in my system.  I havent had to buy any snails in while thanks to them.  I have a couple that are 4" across now, but thankfully they dont bulldoze anything like turbo snails

On a side note i have eaten these in Hong Kong, not too bad either!

• Like 2

I literally just purchased a pair of these last night from Garrett at Premium.  Mine are not nearly that big but he did explain how big they can get.  Funny timing you have posting this.  Regular Trochus breed regularly in my tank so we'll see what these do.  That's really impressive how big yours are!

I bought some from Garrett as well a couple of years ago, these guys are huge, and my wrasse left them alone, they were good cleaners too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Just eye balling, the 2 largest one's growth rate seems to be slowing down. Got 2 more several months back which are starting to catch up to the big ones. For their size, they are surprisingly "gentle" when moving through my coral frags.

I think it would be fun to do a growout competition on these guys. Hehe29c775efb7569cab146d3380773f4682.jpg

• Like 4