Looking for English or French Bulldog

wmcbane200

Hey all. My wife and I are trying to get our first puppy and looking online has been miserable! Most places say there in Portland and there not even in the same state and they want to ship which I'm very uncomfortable with. So we are looking to spend $1000 or under not looking to breed at all and wife's set on a girl. She said she has to put up with me humping everything doesn't want a dog doing it lol. We do have some wiggle room. Hit me up if you have any leads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all. My wife and I are trying to get our first puppy and looking online has been miserable! Most places say there in Portland and there not even in the same state and they want to ship which I'm very uncomfortable with. So we are looking to spend $1000 or under not looking to breed at all and wife's set on a girl. She said she has to put up with me humping everything doesn't want a dog doing it lol. We do have some wiggle room. Hit me up if you have any leads!

Do local! Wife and I were in the same boat and were involved in a scam as we did put money down. After I pulled up some quick searches online and had a friend do some undercover work we had found out they scamed us and had our account lock down for several weeks.

We ran into about a dozen scams out there that did not add up and once you contacted them it's some bs story.

We found a local gal but her place is sketchy. Non the less we are very happy with our decision. The bubs was completely in good health and just happy to have him in our life.

He was sold as a Pug Frenchie we saw the ma and pa. Now that he is 8months old not sure about the Frenchie part. Hard to tell honestly. I'm not a dog expert tho. She had two pure Frenchies for 800-1000$ if I can remember right. I was in contact with her about a month ago and she said she had or had Frenchies coming up soonish.

Whatever you decide. Please do local. Scott could give you a good name and info. I'm sure he'd know if mine had Frenchie in him or not.

Chris

Edited by Flash21
  • Like 1

As stated hard to find in that price range. We paid 2500 for our Frenchie and that was 6 years ago. They can still be had for that but not sure you are getting a good dog from a reputable breeder. Health issues are one thing to watch out for. I have been looking around as the breeder we bought from does not breed anymore. I was given a number and called but no response........Smokey Valley is one of the better ones but her pups start around 3 to 4K and that is pet quality. I am still looking here and there so if I hear anything will pass on the info.

I have some friends with an English bulldog and could ask for their breeder info, but I'm certain they spent around $2500-3000. One thing they learned with that dog is that the initial price tag is nothing compared to the vet bills. They bought from a reputable, well-researched breeder and got a healthy pup, but from around age 3, it's been one problem after another; the dog is about 6 years old now, and they've long surpassed the puppy price in vet bills from surgeries and other emergency services. They say they'll never get one again and caution anyone not rich to avoid.

I may sound like a jerk for saying it, but if $1K is your puppy budget, you may have some trouble affording an English bulldog in the long run, regardless of puppy price. Try to find some owners (not sellers) and ask for honest accounts of their non-routine vet expenses over the years (i.e. beyond flea meds, vaccines, etc.). Online forums are good for owners sharing experiences, and you should be able to get a decent picture. I know I could never afford a dog like that, but some people can.

Don't know enough about Frenchies to comment much, but the advice about finding owners and asking frank questions about vet expenses is good practice for any purebred purchase. I know those are very expensive dogs, as well.

P.S. Female dogs hump things, too, sometimes more than males. It seems to be more of an individual thing than gender related. Also, loud snoring and horrific gas, beyond anything you can imagine until you've suffered in a room with it, are some issues to expect with a bulldog.

Those were most likely scams that told you to send $$, don't do that lol. If you have your heart set on one of those breeds I hate to break it to you but you will be spending more than that, especially for a female. There uses to be a site called kijjii or ebay classifieds that I uses when our Chihuahuas had puppies, there was lots of puppies there but I heard that it doesn't exist anymore but I'm not positive. For those breeds you might wanna find a local breeder, check oregonlive. I used to check puppies for sale just out of curiosity (I worked for Cornelius veterinary clinic and a friend was looking to buy an English Bulldog puppy) and you're average price for one was $2,000 and for French bulldogs $1,700. Anyway I'll keep an eye out myself but good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G360AZ using Tapatalk

Just saw English Bulldog puppies on oregonlive, born Christmas eve $2,500 and $500 deposit and pay $1,500 when you pick up. Don't know if that helps but that's about what you're going to pay for these breeds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G360AZ using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody! I'm aware of the health issues and plan on getting them on a insurance plan with Banfield right away once I get it. $1000 is what I would like to spend but not a exact number. I can spend more if I need just trying to keep it around that so I have more to spoil them with when I get them. I'm sending out a email to Pacific Northwest Bulldog Rescue today to see what they can do. It's a huge application tho. We where recommended to hit them up by the lady at the filling station (where we go to get our cat food). I think I might start looking into Corgies also but I'm aware that price tag is high too. I figure tho if I'm going to have a pet for 15+ years it's going to be a breed I've always been in love with.

• Like 1

Umpqua valley kennels has a great setup and fantastic outlook on their "kids" aka frenchie babies. They are just south of Eugene. We got ours august of 2015 and are getting #2 as soon as they have a brown girl.

Frenchies can be very expensive especially if they are not bred well. lots of inbreeding and the breeding of animals in poor health to get the aesthetics people want at a low price can cause you to get a dog that looks the way you want but will end up with major health problems.

if you see adds for frenchies even close to 1000 and are considering them please take the time and ask to see the medical records of the parents. Otherwise plan on spending 3-6k depending on coat patterns and another 1k on medical/food in the first year.

One last note....do not let the vets do the leptospirosis vaccine. Many are very allergic and reactions vary from extreme swelling to organ failure to even death. We let them give Bowie the vaccine and it ended up being a 1200 vet bill later that night from midnight to 4am at dove Lewis because he was basically unresponsive and his leg where he got the shot awoke to more than twice its size.

The good things: best dog you will ever have. He is phenomenal, most personable, best cuddler, friendliest dog you will ever be fortunate enough to have in your life. Well worth the expense.

• Like 1