Sand

Jcc

Hello, I am new to the forum and had a question that has most likely been asked before but would like to hear it from people with more experience in the hobby. I was wondering what the viability of using play sand as a substrate for a reef tank or fish only tank would be? Thanks

It might look a little out of place with the color most substrates used in reef tanks are black or white not sure how well it would look in a brightly lit and colorful reef with the tanish brown color. Physically though I don't think it would pose a problem and is very cheap which is a plus. Might look good in a display fuge though.

Considering the general pricing of reef tank equipment and livestock, why cut corners on something as inexpensive as the substrate? There's probably more than a few very valid reasons why you shouldn't do this (sand base material, color etc) but honestly what does a couple bags of live/dry reef sand cost? As much as a single coral or fish in a lot of cases.

You tend to get what you pay for in this hobby and cutting corners isn't a great way to start in my opinion.

Here's a great vendor to buy sand and rock from: http://www.reefrocks.net

Edited by youcallmenny