ocean revive arctic S026 and dying SPS

new2saltwater

Looking for opinions from experienced LED users.  I had a blue channel fail on one of my OR lights.  Had them about 2 years so no warranty.  After taking the light apart I found 2 bad blue LEDs.  I notice that all of the blue LEDs on this fixture are black in appearance.  Looking like the LED is burnt, but most still light up normally.  After a read on the internet about the burnt LEDs I inspected the other 4 fixtures I own and about half the blue LEDs on all 4 fixtures have the same burnt appearance and dim light.  I have been having trouble with my SPS corals for quite some time.  I test my water and all parameters seem to be perfect that I test for.  Could these "burnt" LEDs be causing my poor SPS health?  Fans are all operational on all the lighting units.

poor polyp extension, followed by a dulling of color then the coral will turn white, usually starting at the tips and working down.  I moved to a new house about 6 months ago and lost most of my coral in the move.  Now new frags I buy follow this same pattern.  One point the degradation of coral was very fast when I was using GFO and carbon.  I stopped using both for now and the dieing slowed down.  Then I discovered the light issue.

Salinity is 1.025

Alk 10.2

Mag 1400

Calcium 440

I run a calcium reactor so levels are very stable.

One thing is with GFO your alk is very high. Also you may have stripped all the nutrients with the duo of carbon and GFO and your corals are starving. I would slowly lower your alk and if you need to run gfo do it slowly as well. 1/2 of recommended amount. Nothing good in this hobby happens fast.

I think the water stripping is exactly what happened.  I was fighting some green hair algae and I think I got too aggressive with my gfo.  Was wondering more about the light issue though.  I read a post somewhere about the diodes turning black and causing coral issues.  I know the blue diodes are turning black.  Anybody had any experience with these LEDs causing problems?

The bad diodes could definitely do it. I took a look at my light after I noticed the colors of my coral looking dull and my montis dying on me. Turned out my blues and violets were all fried. They still lit up, but since the lenses were bad, I was only getting 10-15% out of them. I ended up replacing every diode.

You might want to look into a new light. Or at least have somebody look at it for you.

Edited by Jack-the-reefer
  • Like 1

Just to follow up on ur didoe issue, did u get the help from my customer service girl? If not, message me and I will expedite the process for our local customers

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Did you figure out what causes the royal blues to burn up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The supplier has one defective batch for the lens (burned color) material, it has been consumed by production for all production in evergrow factory, at this time, we are trying to find out how many units are impacted. We will offer free parts / repair to customers to replace those

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk