SOLVE Annual Oregon Beach Cleanup!

JManrow

Now that our March Meeting has been announced, I would like to let everyone know that it's that time again for the SOLVE Annual Oregon Beach Cleanup again! For several years PNWMAS has been letting our presence be known by assisting at the Annual Cleanup every March. This year it will be held on March 26th at various locations along the Coast. I would like to point out that this in an event outside of PNWMAS, and not a PNWMAS Meeting. PNWMAS is not responsible for any injuries, and appropriate waivers will need to be filled out at the SOLVE meeting locations.

Carpooling may be organized here in the forum thread!

Information about locations and waivers are available here:

http://solveoregon.org/what-we-do/solve-spring-oregon-beach-cleanup

BRCU-sites-1_zpsg59qoch6.png

There are also many other SOLVE Events throughout the year. If you wish to be notified in your e-mail, you may Register at the SOLVE Website.  http://solveoregon.org/

• Like 2

The SOLVE Group Coordinator has been contacted, and as in previous Beach Cleanup, find a Zone on the map that you wish to participate in, and meet at the locations on the map to sign waivers, and drop off trash collected. If any large group is to be organize to meet somewhere, this may be done here in the forum!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright. The time is coming near. After looking through the SOLVE Oregon page, there are three cleanups happening in Lincoln city on the 26th.

03.26.2016 SW 51st Cleanup Lincoln City  

Volunteers Needed

03.26.2016 Gleneden Beach Wayside Cleanup Lincoln Beach  

Volunteers Needed

03.26.2016 Road's End Beach Wayside Cleanup Lincoln City  

Volunteers Needed

http://solveoregon.org/get-involved/volunteer-event

It seems like they are all from 10am-1pm. Would anyone want to carpool or meet up at one of these locations?

• Like 1

I went and registered on the SOLVE Oregon webpage for site "Gleneden Beach Wayside Cleanup." SOLVE says that they will be dropping bags off at the site and all I have to do is show up (and maybe bring a change of clothes). I hope you all try to make it out, and if not, try a location closer to your home.

Let me know if you are going. I would love to see you there.

Totally. PM sent.

They want people to register for numbers and to agree to their safety waiver form. Just click the link above for Gleneden beach and click the "Register" button on the right.

If you don't, I imagine bags will still be there. No one will stop you from cleaning the beach. :P

• Like 2

I can see it now. The moment when someone stops you from cleaning the beach:

**You reach down to pick up an old water bottle on the beach**

Someone yells, "Hey! Put that down."

You reply, "What?! Why?"

They say, "Because that's its natural habitat. Did you know these are going extinct?"

You say, "What? The water bottle?"

"Yeah, those things are hardly even made anymore. Do you really think you'll see these opportunistic creatures in the future?"

You say, "Well, yes. Duh."

• Like 1

It was a great day at the beach. Nice and warm, not too much wind and absolutely no rain during the 3 hours we were there.

DSCF1006_zpsyykysoe9.jpg

There was actually a number of other people who were attending the clean up event in the area wich was great, there is plenty of garbage to go around thats for sure. There were bags provided to put the trash in as well as gloves and hand sanitizer just in case there was something out there that was too unwieldy or just plain foul. We signed in got geared up and went on our merry way.

DSCF1003_zpsmpa8gmk9.jpg

Miles and I worked as a team for this clean up run and I think we did rather well. The first half mile or so of the beach was actually rather clean, asides from the styrofoam chunks here and there, but after that there started to be plastics and other debris to be removed. Bottles of soda, caps, rope pieces, plastic and glass shards were all things we picked up along the way.

Even a couple different shoes for my bucket.

DSCF1007_zpsg3il2rhj.jpg

No it didn't fit...

DSCF1012_zpsxteyupwa.jpg

Found this rather creepy hand too. Of course this is the one thing I decided to bring home as a keep sake, I might hang it up to remind me I should always be lending a hand in picking up this place wherever I go.

But the coolest find goes to this container we found washed up.

DSCF1011_zpscxorkdra.jpg

Could have been form here on our coast, but could have very easily been washed up from another coast as well. We filled this guy up with the garbage we had already found and continued on our way.

DSCF1017%202_zpsstvlipcb.jpg

In the end, or by the time we left, the pile for just this area was looking rather large. I mean look at all this Crud!!!

I am really glad I got to attend, it was a great time just hanging out with a friend and fellow member. Just kinda get away.

DSCF1004_zpskzfpuzle.jpg

OH and can't forget the shot of the Teepee, we wanted to stay and Pow wow but there was more important things at hand...Always next time right.

DSCF1005_zpsu72quym0.jpg

And the obligatory shot of the clean beach afterwards.

Good Times.

• Like 3