New to the group and moving to the area

squee

Hey everyone, moving from Columbus, Ohio to Portland here in the next few months (hopefully) and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on apartment complexes/management companies/etc that are aquarium friendly. Currently i have a 75g mixed reef that i plan on moving with and upping to a 120, also have some smaller salt (a mantis shrimp in one, a mated pair of yashas in another) and freshwater (betta picos, betta sorority and a ninja betta pair) so any help in narrowing down my search would be much much much appreciated :)

also, if anyone has some recommendations on where i might look to pick up a new tank and stand (especially any shops that drill tanks) that would be helpful as well. 

look forward to swapping and gabbing with all of you in the future :)

-stephen

Welcome to Portland. Many great shops here check the sponsors page but Upscales and Cuttle Fish are great places to start. Nice to see another Buckeye fan out here but you want to keep a low profile during the fall.......

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Squee! I was about to say not to assume someone from Ohio is a Buckeye fan! Sone people are smarter than that! ????lol

Totally kidding! Though you are wise not to get caught up in sports! Gives you a lot more free time and sanity! ???? I agree with Cuttlefish and Upscales. If you venture in the Salem area the premium aquarium is also a good place to go. Ocean in a box in Vancouver is also nice to see.

Don't know about aquarium friendly management but you are wise to look into that. There have been a few people on here in the past that had to get rid of their tanks because of management.

Most corporate management companies exclude aquariums, even small ones, at least in Portland. Watch out for pet rent, they may charge per animal even if it's a fish. Is Skulls and Sparrows still on here? I don't know if he was in an apartment or condo when I met him or if he was allowed big tanks, but he was at least allowed something. That was not in Portland but a suburb though. My experience was you are better off in a room in a house or a small private owned and managed apartment complex, or maybe a duplex, especially if you can get the basement, as the pro management companies mostly say no but the little guys might say yes. Also it can get really hot here, and roommates don't always understand why the AC needs to be on when noone is home, so basements are great both for minimizing damage if the tank leaks and for keeping everything cool if you go with the room in a house deal. You also might have better luck in a suburb, Portland's rental market is very tough unless you can afford premium units. Good luck with it and keep trying!

• Like 1

I just moved into an apartment complex that's month to month (just in case it's not a good location for you and your commute). very chill management, no pet fees. No dogs allowed. It's by the Clackamas mall (for reference). Just east of 205 freeway

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did a fill in shift at World of Wet Pets in Beaverton and talked to some people with big tanks who rent. They said no suburban complex has ever cared, and it's just the central Portland landlords who are being exclusive, which they are doing in general, for instance despite the newly legalized smoking product many landlords are excluding smokers of every kind, they are not allowed to live in their buildings AT ALL. Market is so tight they can make any demanding exclusion that suits them. So... suburbs. They are also much quieter and tend to be cheaper in general. Good luck with the move!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...