Hi Everyone,

So I am in the middle of purchasing a house and am kinda curious as to what people have found the best methods for moving there tanks with minimal stress on the fish and corals? Ill be moving a 180 gallon and also a 30 gallon. what equipment did you find was most helpful in the move? did you save most of the water or start from scratch?

thanks for any advice

Also I have heard from some people that they do not recommend keeping the current sand but I don't see why it would be necessary to change the sand any one have any opinion on this or any reasons to change it?

I moved a fully stocked 120 gallon tank. I used 5 gallon home depot buckets and 10 gallon rubbermaid containers ( I borrowed most of the containers from my local LFS). I put all the fish and coral in the 5 gallon buckets. I took about 60 to 70% of the water with me and had fresh salt water made up and ready to go at the new house. I kept a small amount of the sand, but ended up buying all new sand. It was easier to put new sand in and much cleaner. I did not loose any fish or coral during the move. Its an all day project.... Good luck

Well, there's alot of ways not to do it, that's for sure!

Maybe it's time to setup that 400 gallon tank, let it cycle and then just transfer the livestock over:)

• Like 1

Our faithful Vice Prez., BadxGillen, has moved countless systems. He's helped me move twice, the last including a couple 75s. He actually did that the night after moving a 180, I believe. Hopefully he'll chime in with some specifics.

The more coral you have, the tougher it is. The trick is to use as many buckets as possible. As you fill up buckets with coral and rock, you may need to add some extra salt water into the display to make sure you don't run out of water. I also used large Styrofoam and rubber maids.

Have as much salt water made up at the other location as possible. Maybe 50-100 gallons or so, depending on how much you take in the buckets.

In my recent move, I didn't have extra water made up so I had to do it once we arrived. It made for extra complications, but we managed.

Do your best to keep temperature where it needs to be. You can also bag up coral like you were shipping them. That's a great way, but it takes a lot longer with a bunch of coral.

I'm not certain, but as I understand it, the sand issues is because when moving (whether you scoop it out or keep it in) the sand gets all stirred up and it can release phosphates and all the bacteria can/will die off, polluting the tank.

Yes, have made-up water on site where the new tank will go. Large coolers work great but as Andrew mentioned if you have many corals you will be better off with more containers via buckets, they pack and stack well but don't insulate much. But that shouldn't matter in this weather, maybe get the AC going so things don't warm up too much. As far as the substrate goes I would only keep a small amount of the first inch layer in a similar depth at the bottom of the buckets containing some of the base rocks. This will be you're inoculation sand and you can take the rest out and wash it because I am sure if you tried to move it together you will tilt all that substrate during the move, not to mention lifting a 180 with substrate and a little water is asking for trouble. You can ask your local pet store to purchase some bags and rubber bands for your frags.

Totes work well for larger pieces as do sturdy Styrofoam, just get help to move these as the flexing and bowing can cause a side to burst and nobody wants that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Edogg
      Hey everyone.
      I would make an effort to submit photos tonight of my tank however it's past its bedtime. Over the last month one of my hammer corals has been partially closed most of the time. I continuously checked my levels to be presented with perfect water parameters. I decided that its best if I give it time. Two weeks have passed now, and most unfortunately my tank has spiraled into bubble algae heaven. I have made 2 attempts to remove it, but even with a siphon hose and a scalpel I cannot get to all of it. Within 2-3 days it completely grows back. Today I came home to find that 2 of my 3 sps frags had closed and changed colors to a more dull tint. My rainbow acropora is turning green and another purple/green frag I have has turned a darker blue. There is no polyp extension. My other large hammer coral was also retracted, with my mushroom corals bleached white instead of its normal flesh color, though the green highlights are still prevalent towards the top.  My anemone, or two as it split a month ago, seems unaffected and continues to take up way to much space and sting my zoa's.
      My levels, as I said before are perfect under my standards. I am unable to test for phosphates with my current equipment, however I've read elsewhere that bubble algae doesn't need an influx of them to grow.
      Salinity 1.025
      Alkalinity 7.4 dKH
      Calcium 420ppm
      Magnesium 1350ppm
      Nitrate 0
      Nitrite 0
      Ammonia 0
      Tempature 80.5F
      I have calculated my system water volume with rocks to be 14gal. I've been doing a 5 gallon water change every week since I saw the hammer was closed.
      My tank is almost a year old now. I've hit many bumps in the road but this is one that I am clueless to the solution. Photos will be submitted tomorrow around lunchtime. Please help.
    • By Will
      Brand new Marineland 300 deep dimension "corner flow" aquarium for sale. Includes new tank and new tank stand, black. Tank has never been filled and is currently in storage unit. I am only asking $2,000 firm. I am in the Beaverton area. 
      Willbowler@hotmail.com
    • By Sean.G
      So to keep things short my old light (Orbit USA Pro something or the other) broke, salt corroded a wire and I was not able to make a lasting repair on it. I'm trying to find some cheap lighting I can get away with for my ~2 foot cube (Reefer Nano) and I really just want to keep what I already have alive, all softies right now. Ideally I could keep some higher light requirement stuff towards the top of my tank but I'm looking for cheap not perfect. I don't really have a hard price limit, but around $150 is what I am trying to find. I've looked at T5 setups but the price of bulbs and need to replace them relatively often turns me off to them.
      Any advice appreciated.
    • By Jeremevans
      This is the start of a thread that will follow the build and progression of my 200g tank.
      The tank is expected to primarily house SPS, but you could call it a mixed reef...or a compromise. My wife wants to have more fish and I want to have more SPS.
      This project started in late March 2017. It began with an interest in a larger tank and specifically a tank with deep dimensions (cube or close to a cube).
      As we started to look at custom tanks we stumbled upon a used tank for sale that met the general concept we were after. That tank measures 48 wide x 36 deep x 27 tall. The glass appears to be 1/2" this and front and sides of the tank are low iron Starphire glass. The bottom glass appears to be a bit thicker.
      Step one was loading it into a truck and moving it from Hillsborough to St Helens. It was a dark and rainy night...the first step was to get the tank into the truck. Luckily the tank was on a stand and it was almost exactly the height of the pickup truck which made for an easy slide into the truck. The nerve wracking part came next which was driving it over Cornelius Pass and cringing at every bump. The tank did make it back in one piece, but then we had to work out how to unload it.
      So, the tank lived for a rainy week in the back of the truck parked outside. Luckily it is so heavy that no average criminal could have even attempted to steal it. Later in the week we devised a method to black some layers of moving blankets on the garage floor and lower one side onto the blankets while the other side leaned on the tailgate. Then we had two people tilt the tank away from the truck and the thirst guy pulled the truck away. We laid the tank town and there is sat with some sand.
      The next day I started to remove some the sand and start to clean and inspect the tank. What did I find? Hermit crabs! There were a few hermits alive in the tank and I did try to rescue them. In then end only one survived and is still around as I write this. I kept cleaning and found another surprise.
      Along the back of thank on the bottom plate of glass there was a round chip up against the edge of the tank. This chip was held in place by the silicone and had been hidden by sand. I decided to pull the chip out by carefully slicking away some silicone so that I could better clean and inspect the tank. This is point where I thought why did I buy a used tank--oh yeah--because life is too easy if you always buy things new. 
      After a few days reading stories about cracked aquariums and glass repair I decided to proceed as follows. First, I would clean the area where the chip was located and then I would attempt to use a windshield chip repair kit to reinstall the chip. This chip about 1/8 at the thickest point so I reasoned with myself that is probably did not compromise the integrity of the tank, but it might have compromised the silicone seal. If it did cause a seal problem then the tank would have to be torn down and resealed. If I was going to tear down the tank then I was definitely going to replace the bottom glass. All that said, I proceeded to replace the chip so that I could do a full water test and find out my fate.
      As I waited for the epoxy to cure I learned that sunlight is requirement. So on the second day I opened the garage and by some magic there was a sunny day in Oregon for the first time in years (well at least months). The epoxy did cure and the results look better than I would have imagined. The tank is now lying in wait for the water test which will take place shortly.
      The last leg of this update is related to the stand and the sump. We have been thinking about various sump configurations and settled on placing the sump in the garage. This opens up options for various sizes, looks and material. I nearly picked up a Rubbermaid watering trough several times and kept thinking I wasn't crazy about the roundness and extra space it would tank. Then came a post for a free 125 gallon tank (18x23x72). That seemed like a viable option and the price was right so I headed out to pick it up. As luck would have it we started down the road and a severe weather alert was issued for hail and lighting. As I turned off the road just about a mile away from the pickup location I watched lighting strike and two transformers blow....
      We picked up the tank and headed to the Home Depot. The storm barely slowed us down. I had pondered a stand design for a couple of weeks and decided to go with wood instead of steel. I had some doubts about being able to keep the stand from rusting in the long term, and I had the tools and know how to build a wood stand so I chose to build a wooden stand. We picked up (6) 2x6 boards and (8) 2x4 boards as well as some joist hangers and a sheet of 3/4 plywood.
      The core design is modeled off the link below although the facade is still up for debate.
      http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/29-building-an-aquarium-stand

Other components that have been collected:
      Iwaki MD-70RLT Pump (to send water back to the tank from the garage)
      Reeflo Orca 250 protein skimmer (probably bigger than I need but it is rated for 200-800 gallons)
      A couple other pumps that will probably end up being helpful for water changes and not much else.

Other components that still being contemplated:
      Pumps for flow...I'm looking at dual Maxspect Gyre xf280 or xf250s.
      More lights. I have 2x Ocean Revive T247b's and a 4 x 48" t-5 fixture. I would like to get two more OR 247b's but it seems like the supplied evaporated recently (maybe due to new model forthcoming?). Maybe some Radion lights will be in my future.

Well that was a lot for today. I'm sure someone has an opinion or advice or argument to offer now so have at it. I'll keep plugging away and in the next episode you might see me getting under the house to reinforce the floor and run some pipes.
      Jeremy 

• By Sasquatch
      Time to be reborn.
      Starting a new tank at a new apartment.
      This time it's going to be clean and smart.