is it hot in here? :(

Greefer

Well, I came back from the coast today. Spent a few days in Depoe Bay for the 4th. Checked my tank and things weren't looking right. Then I saw the pieces of my blood shrimp which I've had for several months. (R.I.P.) What was going on? I looked at the thermometer....92 degrees! I saw that one of my maxijets had stopped running. My heater didn't have its "ON" light on. I turned them both off by unplugging them. It was an All-Glass made by Hydor. I plugged it in again (out of the water) and I saw the light come on and start warming up. I threw away the heater anyway because I don't think I could trust it (it came with the tank from PETCO). The intake to my maxijet was gunked up which probably shut it down. I cleaned it off and it works fine as far as I can tell. The website says that the pump won't overheat if the rotor jams or anything like that. Still, I'm at a loss. I don't think any modern heater should fail in the ON position and the pump didn't feel warm when I pulled it out. Weird.

We have been going through a pretty hot last week. Maybe the room, house, or appartment you have the tank in just got to warm and the tank began to get really hot. I have had similar proplems with heat in the past, though never had the tank that hot before. Did you loose anything else? At that temp. I would expect a full system crash. A chiller is perhaps one of the best inestments I have made for my new system. Now I have no problems with the tank ever getting even close to warm. Anyways, good luck and I hope your system does well and recovers fully.

Garrett

Did you loose anything else besides the shrimp? I hope everything recovers. Don't shock the system by trying to change the temperature too quickly. But try some ice in the system (sump would be better than tank) to slowly bring the temperature back down to "normal". A fan blowing across a water surface will also help to cool the water.

My emergency was BEFORE we went to the beach for the weekend. I had a leaky seam and had to transfer everything to a rubbermaid tote before we left town. I think everything made it though. I hope you are as lucky with your livestock.

dsoz

Don't put ice in your tank, take a 2 liter bottle of water and freeze it, then put that in your sump or tank . It will slowly melt and cool the tank. Fan blowing across your tank will help too, don't aim them at the water though just above it.

I was wondering about that. We do that in FW with the ice on HOT days somtimes, but ice is FW and so is the tank. I like the 2 liter bottle method. Just don't fill the bottle completely full or put a lid on before you freeze it. That way it doesn't explode. Put the lid on after it is frozen.

I may have to keep a couple of those bottles in the freezer during the summer.

Yeah if you need to use ice definately use the 2-liter bottles. I have a chest freezer full of them that I use for 'ice' on roadtrips. And if I ever need to cool the tank I have some already made.

Just fill the 2 liter half full put the lid on it and stick it in the freezer. That way you can build up a surplus if you choose.

Don't put ice in your tank' date=' take a 2 liter bottle of water and freeze it, then put that in your sump or tank . It will slowly melt and cool the tank. Fan blowing across your tank will help too, don't aim them at the water though just above it.[/quote']

I know I didn't say it, but this is what I meant. I have also used ice in a ziploc bag in a pinch. I have also heard of people using RO/DI water to make ice cubes, and using them instead of top-off water.

But the soda bottle (even 20 oz are good) is a good way to do it.

dsoz :)

But the soda bottle (even 20 oz are good) is a good way to do it.

dsoz :)

Actually I was thinking about this. What would work better?

Smaller bottles would theoretically have a higher surface area %. They would suck up heat faster. Cooling the water faster. Larger bottles would have more "staying" power, and take longer.

Thoughts?