Good Morning from Vancouver, Washington

Justjohnny86

Hey, all. My name is Johnny and I was referred to this forum by reefsickness. He spoke highly of the community and made it sound like the only online community worth being a part of, so here I am! I actually just purchased his 160 gallon reef setup this morning and pick it up next weekend after finals.

I have never had a saltwater aquarium before but I'm excited for the days that lay ahead. I currently have a 150 gallon planted aquarium and figured I'd get my feet wet in a different aquatic discipline. I am probably going to have tons of questions when I get going, so please bear with me :)

I will spend some of this week plowing through available research and data to be as ready as possible for moving day next weekend. I am more than happy to receive any insight that may turn out the best possible outcome for this next chapter in my aquatic obsession! :-D

Johnny B!

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people who know a lot about this hobby here, so ask away. I have only seen the pictures of the tank you purchased but it looks like a great one. You are doing it right the first time! (rock2)

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words! I'm sure I will be in touch with all of you. Reefsickness excited me about the entire community you have fostered here and I look forward to a long and prosperous future! I am especially excited to know there are people in my area who I can talk to about all this! After all, affiliation is arguably the fourth most basic human need after food, water and shelter...;-)

Welcome to the group! You will find some really amazingly helpful people in the Portland Metro/Vancouver area. Having come from planted freshwater myself, I can say you're in for some good fun with saltwater. It's a very different discipline, but no more difficult. My favorite part of saltwater is all of the symbiotic relationships that you can observe in your own aquarium! It's fun stuff. No doubt you'll enjoy it!

Johnny Iam glad you took my advice and joined the group I sure would be sad to see my baby die , All these guys and gals are the best in the hobby and Iam sure they will take care of you. you just need to ask.

But you have to learn the 12 step program. Below is one of my adventures.

[h=2]What The $@#%!![/h]

(sad) Saterday Morrning 6am

I walk out of the bed room suns starting to come up, fell the coolness of the Hardwood floor on my feet. I Walk to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee,and haft way there I fill water on my feet I look down and I have cherrios floating arround my feet since my grand son was over last night.(What the @$%# )!

At that moment a strange sound fills my ears, one I dont hear often. the grinding noise of pumps when they dont have water. ( What the @%$#)!

I look at the Reef Tank, every thing looks normal. My oldest son showed up after I went to bed and is sleeping on the floor next to the Tank on the $1,700 Memory foam Mattres.

He wakes up, since he feels my present standing over him. and out of his mouth comes ( What the @$#%)! The Foam mattres he has been sleeping on has now became a nice warm salt water bed. I wounder if he pissed him self!! he didnt say?(laugh)

I get him to get up and drag the 400 lb water bed out of the way. and there is water flowing out the doors of my tank stand. ( What the @#$%)! (scratch)

I open the doors and my 20 gal sump is empty the pumps are grinding, but theres water in the Reef tank (What the @#%$)!(scratch)

After a closer look, The problem is that my bag filter has became cloged and the top of it is resting on the edge of my sump and has been flowing slowly over the side into to the stand cabnet (What the @#%$)!DOH!

I did some Rock scaping in the tank last night and had a lot of sedament in the tank which cloged the bag filter should of cleaned it after I cleaned the floor up last night.DOH!

So I unplug all the lights since there getting ready to switch on and my ballest are setting in water (flame) I go grab the wet dry vac and start sucking up water and I hear behind me (What the @%$#)! (wife)the wife is up. So at this point I dont know what to say cause I dont know if iam in trouble. (scary)

I respond no **** (What the #$%@)! like if the dog caused it (plotting). She just turns around and goes back to bed. I think it worked. (rock2)

I now have the living room cleaned up Fans blowing throughout the room drying every thing off. I think I am golden.(clap)

I wounder if there is a
step
program to my sickness?

It may go Like this.

#1 We admitt we are powerless over are Reef Systems.

HI my name is Robert I am a Reefer.(sad)

#2 Come to beleave a power greater then us can restore us to our sanity.

Call the LFS or post on the fourm they will know what to do.(plotting)

#3 Made a decision to turn our life over to the care of the Clown fish, as we under stand him.

Nemo please he me.(drooler)

#4 Make a searching and moral inventory of all my fish and corals.

(What the @$#%)! weres my Dragon Goby? I found him while vac up water he floated out from behind my sump.(sad)

#5 admitted to Nemo, ourselfs, and to the fourm the nature of our wrongs.

Sorry Honey It was my fault and not the dogs.(wife) as for you not saying sorry to any of you. Your all the reef dealers get me into trouble.(laugh)

#6 Were entirely ready to have Nemo to remove all the defects of our Reef system.

30 meetings in 30 days, Ok stop by UpScales today, Play TfT Golf tomorrow, Pick up new Tank Tomorrow. (naughty)

#7 Humbly ask Nemo to watch over our tanks.

as I have to attend meetting every day now.

#8 Made a list of all fish and corals we have harmed.

1. Dragon Goby.Didnt cover top of tank

2. Coral frag cant find since doing Rock Scaping DOH!

#9 Make driect admends to all the frags and fish when ever possible.

Sorry for stressing all you frags since I move you three times a week. I promes to keep my hands out of the tank and only move you once a month.(nutty)

#10 Continued to take inventory of our tanks and admittd it when were missing some thing.

Will start that tomorrow.

#11 Shought throught prayer and reading to improve our reef systems.

Read Fourms more often.(rock2)

#12 Having a sprital awaking as a result of having water on the floor and carry this message to fellow Reefers and to practise these principles in all of out affairs.

You all under stand this were here to help.(naughty)

You all have a good day have to run to get some live rock

Welcome to the dark side.... I mean saltwater (whistle)

This is a awesome and very addictive hobby. Feel free to ask any questions no matter how silly. I have and do ask those dumb questionas all the time, the folks on here a very patcient and knowlageable.

You have quite a few reefers right around you so it should be a great help. When your ready for your clowns (we all have them (laugh)) the clown house is in Vancouver too (clap)

Keep us posted on the build :)

Will do! The biggest concern will be trying to save as many of the livestock as possible during the move and subsequently getting everything setup correctly again. I am confident in my mechanical abilities, but I try not to count my eggs until they're hatched, so to speak.