Tankerald's 150gal SPS tank build

tanktop74

Careful when using that glue. It will get you really loopy if you breath in tOo much. That may sound like fun to some but when you are trying to plumb that thing you will want your wits about you. I had to use that stuff at work once when we moved my CNC routers. I ended up using a lot of the stuff, and no joke we had to use a saws all to undo a mistake. If I had to use that stuff I would were a respirator, but you are probably going to be using a tenth of what I did (hooking up the router) so just try not to breath it in. At least not until after the work is done LOL. I'm just glad I didn't discover that stuff back when I was a teenager.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful when using that glue. It will get you really loopy if you breath in tOo much. That may sound like fun to some but when you are trying to plumb that thing you will want your wits about you. I had to use that stuff at work once when we moved my CNC routers. I ended up using a lot of the stuff' date=' and no joke we had to use a saws all to undo a mistake. If I had to use that stuff I would were a respirator, but you are probably going to be using a tenth of what I did (hooking up the router) so just try not to breath it in. At least not until after the work is done LOL. I'm just glad I didn't discover that stuff back when I was a teenager.[/quote']

LOL, Thanks... I have used this stuff on a project or two in the past! I wont be gluing anything until everything has been cut and fitted properly!! I will also make sure the basement window is open and the fan is going!

PS. don't tell my teenagers in the house about this stuff!!!

Picked up the acrylic tray that will hold all the stand contents... sump, pump, reactors... dosing pump and chemicals! Davy Jones Locker did a great job on it!

IMG_20110102_181522.jpg

Also finalized the sump to pump plumbing, as suggested by Alex....

IMG_20110102_181449.jpg

OK, back to the basement to work on the spa flex return portion!

More updates shortly!

Beth, if you have room give more 'air' to the output of the sump. That 90 degrees could be too tight and generate cavitation. This is also what is written on the Reeflo manuals and they are always right :)

With tow 45 degrees you probably only loose 2 inches of space, but your pump will be more happy :)

are you talking about the 90 on the input side of the pump? if so there is nothing bad there i have ran all my reeflo pumps with a 90 on the inlet never had an issue

Kim,

Your glue will not work on the black pipe. It has to be listed for ABS pipe not PVC.

Hey Dave,

I am using the all purpose cement, label states good for PVC, ABS and CPVC... Lowes and HD dudes said that covers me on all types I am using on the tank.

Beth

Ok, here is where I am going to leave off tonight!

manifold2.jpg

Anyone have a suggestion for the right return in the above picture??? I tried a 90 and it just doesn't line up well, going to go get two more 45's and see if that will make a difference.... if not I may resort for flex tubing of some sort, unless someone sees something I don't see and can give me another idea.

Also I still can use some more input on my plumbing question...

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24303

Thanks for following along and adding your input!

It's up and running!!!

So this weekend was very busy! I finished the last of the plumbing and got the tank up and running!

tank3.jpg

tank.jpg

tank4.jpg

tank5.jpg

There were only a couple minor leaks around the bulkheads that were quicky fixed with a little silicone and tightening up!! The only other problem getting this up and running was the pump cavitating and I think I got it all worked out now!

There were only a couple minor leaks around the bulkheads that were quicky fixed with a little silicone and tightening up!! The only other problem getting this up and running was the pump cavitating and I think I got it all worked out now!

Hmmmmmm interesting,(scratch) funny I did not hear of any leaks that were happening in the basement(wife)

Seems you have a lot of flow through the return. I think that it will work perfectly just as it is, with the pump throttled down. You will save some money in bills running a big magnetic pump at a lower rate that a smaller one at full speed :)

If you will ever need more turnover (I doubt) you can just get rid of the baffles section.

You did a great job. This tank is gonna be awesome. I'm looking forward to see it 9 or 12 months from now.

Very nice job honey! I'm so proud of you!(clap)(clap)(rock2)

Thank you hun, that means a lot to me! (yahoo)

Hmmmmmm interesting' date='(scratch) funny I did not hear of any [b']leaks[/b] that were happening in the basement(wife)

Ummmmmmm, ya just a couple of drips....(shy)

Seems you have a lot of flow through the return. I think that it will work perfectly just as it is, with the pump throttled down. You will save some money in bills running a big magnetic pump at a lower rate that a smaller one at full speed :)

If you will ever need more turnover (I doubt) you can just get rid of the baffles section.

You did a great job. This tank is gonna be awesome. I'm looking forward to see it 9 or 12 months from now.

Thank you Alex!! I also want to thank you for all your input!

At least it doesn't sound like a huge toilet flushing! LOL

I do not think I could get any more flow through the tank with that massive overflow and pump, but I do have room to add on accessories (carbon and gfo reactors)!!