The 75gal tank - an upgrade tale

impur

Good progress Miles!! Looks good. I need to get some black acrylic (which I just gotta got to PDX to get) and build a overflow and I can get going. Proud to be a T5 user again! Lets see those lights on there. Later Ryan

For days I slaved to make enough new salt water to fill my new tank. I filled garbage cans, buckets, jugs and anything that could hold water. I worked hard on the tank. I washed the sand. Over and over is washed it but it was not enough. Silt still ruled over the light.

As the fresh RO/DI water mixed with new Oceanic salt to become the lifeblood of my reef, I began to ponder how to keep things clean in my new larger tank. I notice how detrius pooled under rocks that sit on the sand. PVC was used in half my 29gal and worked well. Then Nyles came up with a brilliant plan.

P1010045.jpg

Yes this could work!! I could cut it up on my miter saw and use it in squares. But it was too large for my miter saw. I tried side cutters next. That worked, buy my hands quickly became tired. Surely I had to have a dremel bit suited for this. Yes!

P1010046.jpg

P1010047.jpg

P1010048.jpg

Nice one... now if you had a tablesaw... you could have made little rock lifts like I was thinking... Oh well, hey if you want I can drag the table saw by again this weekend.. then you can cut those racks down smaller into 4 pegs instead of those 12-16 peg sizes. Then they will be adjustable and movable. Let me know!

But Im broke so you will own me a beer... LOL. Really though it looks great, cant wait to see the end result.

Ugh. I got home, turned on the CL (i didn't run it cuz i wasn't completely sure it would not leak = scared), and started to put some corals into buckets to acclimate. After checking the bulkheads about 30 times over the course of an hour, i decided i had better check one more time before any corals actually got into the tank and i started transferring water. Sure enough, 3 of the top 4 were leaking. They are leaking where my threaded street els screw into them. Now it did not leak a drop for 2 days when i had it running before. But i got to thinking. Some how its squeezing water out of the threads, I wrapped the threads in teflon so how? I think it might be because of the reducers on the other side of the bulkhead restricting the flow and creating some pressure inside the bulkhead. Its not a fast leak, its like 1 drop every 1 or 2 minutes and i'm sure it would fill with saltcreep in time. But i just can't live with imperfection so as i cussed and stomped around preparing to drain the tank, i remembered how i fixed the exact same problem on the intake. Lots and lots of silicon :D So i smothered the connection spot with silicon. I mean if water gets thru this silicon it will officially be a modern miracle. If this doesn't work.......

Ok so i'm gonna head to Jerry's tonight and change out the loclines. I don't like the idea of that back pressure there and just to be safe i'm gonna see about making some of those uber expensive returns, the name escapes me now. Anyway, its essentially a few sched 80 45* elbows. I'll get some pics tonight.

Ok removed the loclines and fired up the CL. No leaks at all :D Seems to do a good job of chaotic flow throughout the tank with no directional parts on the inside of the bulkheads. So thats good. But this Panworld pump sounds like a jetliner preparing for takeoff. I can hear it in every single room of my 1525 sq ft house. I can hear it outside even. This just will not do. I'm about 2 inches from selling the new tank and just keeping the 29gal.

I tried wrapping it in some foam and it did not help at all. Its got this high pitched hum that resonates throughout the house. In fact i can hear it better standing 15 feet away from the tank than i can when i'm 2 feet from it.

It also might be cavitating a little. It sounds like there is air in the impeller sometimes. Not bad, but i can hear it a little. It doesn't look like any MB are in the tank though.

I'm considering 2 things now.

1) selling the pump, buying a dart and plumbing the intake over the back of the tank.

2) selling the pump for a bonified quiet pump.