Grow Out Contest (Tank Summery)

I just wanted to start this thread to show what I had so far for the entry post about each persons tank. This is only a rough draft and I am definitely looking for input. Keep in mind this one is just going to be basic stuff, but the winners will be telling all before they get to actually claim their prizes. After all, one of the main points to this game is to help everybody involved learn more about growing coral. Here is just a quick list of what I know I would like to see from everybody. If you have any suggestions please post in and lets discuss it...;)

Display tank size/shape (72 bow, 60 cube, 120 4', 24 pod, ect...)

Sump yes/no (if yes approximate size)

Refugium Yes/no (if yes is it a combo with the sump)

Estimated total gallons to system

Lighting ( PC, vho, Halides, t-5, a mix)

Time established

I had a few more but I think the less we know about others tanks at the start the more fun it could be in the end. Lets here what you guys think!!!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'll post mine

My tank is a 150 gallon standard (60 x 24 x 24)

2 sumps tied togeter with pvc (40 gallons or so)

No real fuge but some chaeto that grows balls to the wall in one of my sump chamgers

Lighting is 2 x 400 sps 14k se mh

The tank has been up now since november of 08

I have a 75g glass tank. 6x54w T5HO TEK light. A build your own overflow to a rubbermaid sump. Probably 85 total gallons. No refugium, Chaeto only in the overflow, and some chaeto and halmidia in the display.

Flow is mostly from a gen-x 4100 pump from the sump. There is a Seio powerhead and a MJ900 in there for additional flow.

In the sump, there is a few pieces of LR, a bunch of crushed coral and sand. For equipment, there is a Coralife Super Skimmer 125, two 300w heaters, and a phosphate reactor.

It has been up in the existing configuration for about 14 months.

I dose BRS 2-part Ca/alk 60 mL each almost every day (unless I forget).

I have mostly LPS. Quite a bit of Euphyllia (trying to get rid of), A couple acan frags (want more of), some zoas, leathers, kenya tree, and not a lot of xenia left. For SPS, there are only a few montipora, pink pocillopora, and one "blue" acropora (the brown stick coral).

Fish incluede two false percs, a LMB, a powder brown tang, two pajama cardinals, and a pygmy angel (will be removed as soon as I get around to it... The bugger eats my SPS and xenia!).

That is all for now.

dsoz

nice dsoz. Can't wait to see ur set up sometime. I did the rubbermaid sump for a long time. Couple years I believe and it worked well for me.

If you can come to the next meeting, it will be about 4 blocks from my house. You can come over and check out all the goodies.

The description above is only for my display tank. It does not include my 40b anemone tank, the AP24 that is for my classroom (home for the summer), or the 45 long that is used to salt-cure the manufactured rock that we have made and getting ready to sell.

I am thinking of turning the 40L into a refugium/sump for my display and have them back to back in the room. I think that it would work out nice if I can do that this summer.

dsoz

I have a 30g Acrylic with 6g built on back for refugium.

Filtration:

First chamber has live rock rubble

Second chamber skimmer (Berlin 60 air driven)

third chamber cheato

then the water goes through my UV sterilizer (turbo twist 2) to the canister filter (Fluval 403 which seconds as the return pump) which houses filter floss and carbon

I also have a korellia 1 for additional\alternating flow

Lighting:

I run 1x250w 15k MH DE 10hrs, 2x65w Actinic's 14hrs and 8 LED's for moonlight.

I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef and I do not dose.....at all.

Current tank has been running for about 3 months.

Fish, Inverts and Cleaning crew

3 False Perc's, 1 split happy green bubble tip anemone, 1 Chromie, 1 Melanarus Wrasse, 1 Purple Tang, 1 sand sifting starfish, 1 Lionfish\sea hare\royal gramma eating serpant starfish, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 tiger tail sea cucumber, 1 horse shoe crab, 6 or so snails (I don't know what kind but they stick to the glass mostly) 2 flat snails, 4 Emerald crabs, and a few hermits

Corals:

80 different types of zoanthids, 4 Birdsnest (3 different kinds), 1 ORA purple cap, 1 ORA orange cap, 1 regular red monti, 1 pokerstar, a little GSP, 1 fuzzy mushroom, 8 or so superman mushrooms, 1 fungia (clap), 2 hammers, 1 frog spawn, the Duncan's, and 1 ricordia (but hoping to get more soon)

I think I may be borderline overstock (scratch) sad thing is I am still picking up a couple neon gobies and have a line on Blue Dot jawfish for under $100 DOH! will most likely pass on the jawfish though...unfortunately.

Thank you, I am looking forward to seeing your tank sometime too. Check on my zoa's and all.

37 Gallon Oceanic Cube with a 16x16 sump that holds about 13 gallons. Light is a single 250 14K bulb. As for livestock no fish as of now but one cleaner shrimp and alot of snails and hermits. Corals are LPS and Zoos with a couple of SPS. Flow is created by a Vortech MP 40, Koralia 1 and a modded Tunze Nanostream. Tank was set up as a temporary tank but is going on 17 monthsDOH!

75gal glass AGA tank lit by a 6-54w TEK T5 fixture. 20gal sump with Octopus NW200 modded venturi, elbow and mesh. Return is a Rio 500gph pump, flow is 2 Koralia 4's and 1 MJ sureflow mod. DIY ATO, and 2 media reactors with GFO and carbon. Total system volume ~ 90gal been running for about 24months now. Lighting, temp and fans are controlled by an AC Jr.

Since the zoas will be going thru QT when i get them:

Also have a 29gal QT glass tank lit by 1-250w Hamilton 14k that is about 2 years old. Flow is 1 MJ sureflow mod and 1 MJ 600. Total system volume ~ 20gal. Temp controlled by a Ranco temp controller and lighting is on a simple timer. No skimmer no sump.

I have a 120 with a corner overflow, my return pump is an internal gen-x not sure of the size, with a koralia 3 and 4 for flow. The sump is has cheato in one compartment and some live rock in another around 15 gallons. Skimmer is a octopus rps 2000. I have 2current nova extreams with 4 54watt t5s each.

I guess this works too.(laugh) This was just supposed to be a thread to see if that is what we wanted the entry sheet to look like. I will be posting an actual thread later for everyone to put their specs in. The winners will be the ones telling things like what they are dosing and how often. Lighting times, special care, ect... This first post up from all is supposed to be short and sweet so it is easy for others to search through if needed.

Eric makes me (laugh) the most though. I talked to him on the phone and told him I was going to post this up for everyones critique and that it wasn't the actual thread...DOH!

Would be kinda funny if we all get zoo eating nudi's from this contest.

:eek:that wouldn't be funny at all. Ok maybe a little funny but only after a long time... I think we may need to put a disclaimer in somewhere to make sure everyone knows that is always a risk.:eek:

Display tank size/shape

240 gallon 8' X 2' X 2' in-wall Acrylic

LPS and Soft Coral

Sump yes

100 gallon Rubbermaid Sump houses:

Precision Marine XL2 Skimmer SPECS:

Tubing Diameter 8”

Overall Height 38”

Footprint 12.5" X 12.5"

Capacity 750g

Pump Iwaki MD70RLT

Finnex 800 watt heater controlled by Ranco Dual Stage Temp Controller

PCI C-500 1/2 HP Chiller fed by Gen-x PCX40 controlled by Ranco DSTC

ATO

Magnum 350 for Carbon

Refugium Yes

55 gallon with a 5 inch deep sandbed. Variety of Macro Algaes.

Estimated total gallons to system

350 gallons

Lighting

(3) 400 watt single ended Radium bulbs ran off of PFO ballasts

** Soon to add - DIY Luminarcs and (4) 110 watt Actinic VHO run off of an Icecap 660

Flow

Flow is controlled by a Closed Loop. (2) 1.5" inlets to a Barracuda Pump. (6) 1" outlets and a 1" spray bar. Return pump is a Gen-x PCX70.

Time established

Current iteration has been established since Feb 09. Have had rock and some inhabitants for about 5 years. After a tank crash, I cooked my rock for a year and had my display tank down. The sump and fuge ran full time. When I restarted the display, I did not have any cycle. My rock is very seasoned. It did not take long to get coraline coverage again.

Jay

Here are my specifications:

60g starphire cube (24x24x24) 25 gallon sump with built in refugium

-- Total gallons appx 85 --

Tank has only been running for about 6 weeks :)

LIGHTING

- 250w Halide with 14k bulb (Hamilton)

- 2x T5 Actinics

- 2x moonlights

Filtration

- filter sock changed at least weekly

- Pacific coast RPS 2000 recirc skimmer with air intake drilled out

MISC

- GFO reactor

- 1/10th HP Chiller

- Reefkeeper Elite controller

- run carbon in filter sock

- closed loop system powered by Reeflo Dart Pump

- daily dosing using Kent marine tech CB for alk and CA

- Mg dosing when needed (test ever 2 weeks for Mg)

- Just started feeding with Reef Nutrition Oyster feast (1x - 2x per week)

- feed a few times per week with Rod's food

- 5 to 10 gallon water changes every week

Heres mine:

Tank

70 gal All glass 36x18x26

20 gal sump/fuge combo

110 lbs LR

Filtration

Filter sock (changed every weekend)

Aqua C ev120 protien skimmer

Lighting

2x 250 watt Mh 14k hamilton Ice cap ballast

2x 36" vho actinics Ice cap ballast

moonlightsI

Misc

Aqua controller jr

danner mag 18 return

2x maxijet 400 w/shure flow mod

phosban reactor w/gfo

phosban reactor w/carbon

pacific coast chiller

kalk dosed w/auto top off

mg dosed as needed

typhoon 3 RODI

alternate feedings w/mysis,brine,and my own "blender mush"

phytoplankton once a week.

15 gal water change every 2 weeks

Livestock

Pair of ocellaris clowns

fire fish goby

Randals goby/shrimp pair

Psychedelic mandarin

lawnmower blenny

scarlet cleaner shrimp

coral banded shrimp

Various hermits/snails for CUC

Current iteration has been set up 1 1/2 years

My tank feels so inadequate up against these monsters you guys are posting!

Tank: 15.5g cube

Sump: 7 gallon

Filtration: 40 lbs LR

Lighting: 150w metal halide, 20K radium

Flow: Rio return pump and a koralia nano

Livestock: 2 false percs, diamond goby, LMB, 3" maxi clam, lots of zoos, ricordia, mushrooms, feather duster worm.