opinions on dosing

Reef madness

For those long term die-hard dosers out there, I am switching from a calcium reactor to full time dosing.1) What are the most economical ways to dose a heavily stocked 150 gallon sps? Specific brands/places to buy would be helpful. 2) I will be using one motor to dose ca, one to dose alk and one to dose mag. Any suggestions for the fourth motor?

I have not dosed in 20 years and have not had any real problems at all. But for some reason im thinking about doing this for Calcium and Alkalinity Magnesium Portion A friend of mine used this on his tank and I loved how live and excellent everything looked.

​I have no idea as to what to do I don't want to get into it with dosing 100 things but maybe these 2 or 3 things.

I was actually going to come post a thread about dosing but since this is up I was going to just ask.

What he is using is the BRS 2 part package from BRS

I don't really understand all this dosing stuff or the need for it all .

20 years ago people never had all this stuff and tanks could run for 10 years just change the water :)

Although I didn't get into building myself and getting into it friends back then had a store.

Anyhow so I'm learning why do people dose

For those long term die-hard dosers out there, I am switching from a calcium reactor to full time dosing.1) What are the most economical ways to dose a heavily stocked 150 gallon sps? Specific brands/places to buy would be helpful. 2) I will be using one motor to dose ca, one to dose alk and one to dose mag. Any suggestions for the fourth motor?

What type of doser are you currently using?

I used Prestone Driveway Heat (de-icer) for my calcium and baked baking soda for alkilinity. For magnesium, I used magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate in proper ratios. All of these are explained in depth with Randy's articles on dosing. It doesn't get cheaper than this.

"Prestone Driveway Heat (de-icer)"

I love it when people re-purpose common items for other chemistry purposes.

• Like 1

I hate to hi jack but didnt want to start a thread that had dosing already started so would just ask here.

My friend I cant get a hold of changed his number but I know he used that bulk reef supply BRS 2 part calcium and Alkalinity package if I get that and just use it once a day it  should be ok ya? All this does is pretty much just feed corals and stuff extra ya?

Again I never have used anything at all just check my salinity pretty much and I have always been good to go.

I\'m trying to figure out if its worth it and find out more about it.

I hate to hi jack but didnt want to start a thread that had dosing already started so would just ask here.

My friend I cant get a hold of changed his number but I know he used that bulk reef supply BRS 2 part calcium and Alkalinity package if I get that and just use it once a day it should be ok ya? All this does is pretty much just feed corals and stuff extra ya?

Again I never have used anything at all just check my salinity pretty much and I have always been good to go.

I\'m trying to figure out if its worth it and find out more about it.

Unfortunately, you will want to start a new thread because you need to give and receive much more information. I.e. info about your system, what corals you have, etc. Your question isn't as simple as you think.

Unfortunately, you will want to start a new thread because you need to give and receive much more information. I.e. info about your system, what corals you have, etc. Your question isn't as simple as you think.

Ya i was thinking that to after reading on this topic i see there are all kinds of dosing things :)

I have been using leslies calcium for the last year. Works great. I read some bad things about the prestone de-icer, and i wanted something with more purity, and consistency. With the prestone you can read the good and the bad on rc...for me, not worth the dice roll.
Available on amazon for like $40 for 25lbs worth or so.
ba7a1602ae6d849ffcc5d41dbd160045.jpg
I mix 2 1/4 cups per gallon, and i have to dose roughly 4.5oz per day in a heavily stocked sps tank.

And for the alk:
18392c5298fcfd3d5af9516b0e388eeb.jpg
Arm and hammer pure baking soda. Plain.
2 1/2 cups per gallon
I Dose roughly 4.5 oz per day of each.

Of course your dosing will vary...but the mix should be the same.

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 2

I have been using leslies calcium for the last year. Works great. I read some bad things about the prestone de-icer, and i wanted something with more purity, and consistency. With the prestone you can read the good and the bad on rc...for me, not worth the dice roll.

Available on amazon for like $40 for 25lbs worth or so.

ba7a1602ae6d849ffcc5d41dbd160045.jpg

I mix 2 1/4 cups per gallon, and i have to dose roughly 4.5oz per day in a heavily stocked sps tank.

And for the alk:

18392c5298fcfd3d5af9516b0e388eeb.jpg

Arm and hammer pure baking soda. Plain.

2 1/2 cups per gallon

Dose roughly 4.5 oz per day

Of course your dosing will vary...but the mix should be the same.

That baking soda you mix right from the bag to raise alk:? or lower the lesslie for calc so this stuff actually like helps feed them?

What does it mean when people talk about cooking baking soda as well.

Yeah i forgot to mention i bake the baking soda for about an hour@400deg before mixing...this drives off excess co2. This is necessary for people who have low pH...most of us.

Baking soda raises Alk...yes

The Hardness plus you just mix direct then right with water?

Interesting only reason I asked about the baking is I read people talking about it.

I have never went with dosing anything yet but love to learn and hear about new ideas and ask lots of questions :)

So i'm curious what would make you want to switch to dosing from a Ca reactor? I used to dose and it was a nightmare to get the balance right plus the hassle of mixing and refilling chemicals. Since gong to a reactor, my water chemistry has hardly fluctuated. Set and forget..... Just curious.

The Hardness plus you just mix direct then right with water?

Interesting only reason I asked about the baking is I read people talking about it.

Yes, the Calcium you mix with the water...RODI water. I would mix it in a separate container though as it gets surprisingly hot and will warp thin plastic over time.

So i'm curious what would make you want to switch to dosing from a Ca reactor? I used to dose and it was a nightmare to get the balance right plus the hassle of mixing and refilling chemicals. Since gong to a reactor, my water chemistry has hardly fluctuated. Set and forget..... Just curious.

Many advantages to dosing...the reason I don't run a reactor is because of space in my sump...which is a real issue for most reefers.

Another advantage to the DIY guys/gals is the cost factor...

If I buy 6 gallons worth of Leslies, here is what it will cost and how long it'll last.

Cost for 6 gallons of dry mix=$66

thats 96 cups

which makes 48 GALLONS of dosing solution.

A gallon lasts me for 120 gallon SPS reef one month.

So, for $66, I have 4 years worth of Calcium :)

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 1

Yes, the Calcium you mix with the water...RODI water. I would mix it in a separate container though as it gets surprisingly hot and will warp thin plastic over time.

Many advantages to dosing...the reason I don't run a reactor is because of space in my sump...which is a real issue for most reefers.

Sweet good info and yea I agree on the no space thing I'm right there I have room for automatic top off spot right now I have one that come with the tank but don't trust them float valves to much that they come with my put a controller down there..

As far as it being to hard to dose I wouldn't think it would be don't you just give a certain amount everyday or you have to see what your at and measure or dose only certain amounts.

Is it like 4 oz a day or is it 2.3 one day 4 the next etc?

Is it like 4 oz a day or is it 2.3 one day 4 the next etc?

Dose should be the same every day. The goal is consistency and stability. You may have to once a month or every few months adjust it slightly by adding a little more Calcium or Alk.

Hand dosing is a daily ritual...when I feed the fish, I dose. so once a day, I spend 15 minutes with my reef. Oftentimes with a busy schedule, it's all the time I get with the tank! But you have to be diligent...missing a day isnt a huge deal, but things get compounded if you miss days...you have to make up for it! If you cannot remember to do it every day, seriously figure out a way to hook a Ca reactor up!

Staypuff, you should do some google reading on this subject. I think you are trying to simplify it way to much. Dosing these things is not just to feed your corals. Its to keep these levels at the proper esnge. You will need to test for them, and find out jow much your tank us losing on a daily basis to figure out what you need to dose. If you ju s t start dumping random amounts in without kniwing what your tank needs you will end up with some serious headaches.

The reason I got tired of the calcium reactor was that sometimes I could dial it right in, and other times it was a constant tinkering to get it just right. I had been reading about other successful dosing stories and finally came to the conclusion using Randy Holmes recipies that it might be worth a try.

Another advantage of dosing daily by hand is the extra time you spend with your aquarium the more likely you are to notice suttle changes and be able to react to stressed fish stung corals and such more quickly. I am a firm believer in daily tank interactions and to much automation can cause complacency. Not that automation. Is a bad thing just my personal opinions =)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Edited by Jeramy
  • Like 2

Staypuff, you should do some google reading on this subject. I think you are trying to simplify it way to much. Dosing these things is not just to feed your corals. Its to keep these levels at the proper esnge. You will need to test for them, and find out jow much your tank us losing on a daily basis to figure out what you need to dose. If you ju s t start dumping random amounts in without kniwing what your tank needs you will end up with some serious headaches.

yep I agree I have been looking into it more.

I have never used it ever never had a problem with my tank except a couple softies I couldn't keep so maybe it would help so I'm looking into it more.

I always do research on everything before I buy or add for sure.

Another advantage to the DIY guys/gals is the cost factor...

If I buy 6 gallons worth of Leslies, here is what it will cost and how long it'll last.

Cost for 6 gallons of dry mix=$66

thats 96 cups

which makes 48 GALLONS of dosing solution.

A gallon lasts me for 120 gallon SPS reef one month.

So, for $66, I have 4 years worth of Calcium :)

Great save money and it works you darn sure cant beat that :)

Dose should be the same every day. The goal is consistency and stability. You may have to once a month or every few months adjust it slightly by adding a little more Calcium or Alk.

Hand dosing is a daily ritual...when I feed the fish, I dose. so once a day, I spend 15 minutes with my reef. Oftentimes with a busy schedule, it's all the time I get with the tank! But you have to be diligent...missing a day isnt a huge deal, but things get compounded if you miss days...you have to make up for it! If you cannot remember to do it every day, seriously figure out a way to hook a Ca reactor up!

This is some good information. What is your normal Alk levels with dosing 4.5oz per day?