Help me fix my reactor!!!

reefgeek84

It can be fixed two ways.

1. get the piece unscrewed that is broken inside the acrylic........replace the fittings starting at the half of the union closest to the broken part all the way to the male threaded fitting that screw into the reactor. If the union is threaded(it doesnt appear to be) you dont need to replace that half of the union even.

2. If the acrylic is thrashed and or the threads screwed up on the acrylic, you can tap out the hole to one size larger and do everything listed above....just with a one size larger male threaded fitting that hooks into the acrylic. I highly doubt this is necessary, and you would only do this if you absolutely had to.

hth

Then you can try to epoxy the broken piece back together or option # 2 above. I would try the epoxy first...if it doesnt work...you havent lost anything.......

Another idea is to maybe call James and see if he can hook you up with a piece of acrylic that matches the curve......you can then simply cut the broken fitting out and simply adhere a new piece of wall on the reactor, drill and tap it to the correct size and replace the plumbing........

Then you can try to epoxy the broken piece back together or option # 2 above. I would try the epoxy first...if it doesnt work...you havent lost anything.......

Another idea is to maybe call James and see if he can hook you up with a piece of acrylic that matches the curve......you can then simply cut the broken fitting out and simply adhere a new piece of wall on the reactor, drill and tap it to the correct size and replace the plumbing........

I was thinking of doing the expoxy thing, what kind do you recommend? the marine stuff from HD?

That is a good idea about possibly talking to James and seeing if he can help out.

You know, drilling and tapping that out to one inch( i think its 3/4" now) and just putting a 1" mpt to 3/4 fpt reducing adapter might be the easiest and guaranteed to work thing to do..........then DONT glue it........plumbers tape "MAYBE" a little silly cone will work just fine......

connections like that should never be glued

it might be safest to take a dremel and grind that fitting out of there before you drill...........try not to grind any acrylic out...just the fitting

Guest Mbeef61

first off....it looks brand new...was it shipped this way....then i can say yes it can be fixed---make them send you a new one...otherwise i would try my hardest to find those fitting...i think even waiting a little bit for them to be ordered would be better and safer than gluing...but those look like hard to find parts so if you choose to glue i dont think its a bad option at all...i have used the marine epoxy AND the normal jb weld before to fix a skimmer broken in the EXACT same place....i like the normal because it matches that plumbing better than the marine i think its bright blue...at least mine was....and for being reef safe mines never been better...so i dont think it leeches any chemicals. just let it dry a long time...the stuff really does work well(rock2)

If you cannot drill it out and use a uniseal on it then the next best thing is epoxy. I would use the Plastic Fusion stuff from Home Depot, it is an acrylic based epoxy and ones it drys is safe. I would give it a couple of days though before using it. Also make sure that you have things the way you want it because once its drill you will NOT be able to take it apart...