Frag magnets FYI

fly guy

Just thought i would share a little FYI for anyone else who thinks the frag mags are a cool concept.

These magnets are MANY times stronger than the ones that aquamags.com sells for $6 apiece. (it takes TWO of these of course). They are coated with epoxy and waterproof, rustproof and inert. The guy i talked to had never heard of the concept but he did an experiment OUT of the water for me and the small ones he said could hold 2 ounces and the large one SIX ounces.....OUT of the water. The ones aquamags sell can only hold an ounce they claim under the water..

I found these as i didnt like the price OR the ugly black rubble that they put them on. So i searched haphazardly for a couple of days and came up with these. I am going to epoxy COOL rock rubble to them so certain corals can easily be stuck to the side of the aquarium, as well as easily removed if desired.

just thought there might be a couple of you interested, as well, they were super responsive and friendly towards my inquiries.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DC2E

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D82E

I think for $1.40 a pair and all i have to do is epoxy a cool piece of rubble to it aint too bad.......

I just bought a bunch of them in both sizes....ill make you all a deal.......$5.50!!! (laugh) (whistle)

J/K I will let you know if they are as cool as they sound so far. I have visions of hanging large colonies off my sps tank walls and baseball size lps all over the walls of my softy tank.........:D (plotting)

THATS how you make a tank REALLY packed with corals......

I think that people selling frags could benefit from these things a ton........quadruple your space for much cheaper than throwing up new walls and equipment..........and for small frags i bet you could get a couple magnets for pennies and then charge a little extra (or not) and let them go with the sale as a bonus................

risking everything in your tank on a properly coated $1.40 magnet seems sketchy to me. You get a couple dozen of those in the tank, your bound to get one that fails. it could have devistating effects on your livestock.

I worry about leaving $150 magnvore magnets in the tank all the time, let alone something so cheap no one really cares about quality.

just my $.02

Good input Joel.

He "said" they were coated VERY well and you couldnt easily take it off with a blade.........we will see.

With that being said i may just coat them AGAIN and do some time and thrash tests before using them..........

thanks

ps-have you or anyone else ever heard of the aquamags polluting a tank??? I dont plan on moving them like a magscraper, but just the same......if this coating or one i can create over it isnt bulletproof...its definitely a "no deal"

Honestly though' date=' I don't see the payback, I would just as well glue them. Its not like your taking corals out all the time anyways unless your a fish store or you have a problem with the coral.[/quote']

i dont want them for the ability to remove them. I want them for the ability to hang cool decent size stuff off the walls of my tanks without epoxy and damage to the acrylic walls........

cant have too many corals and it could provide the opportunity to get some of the more aggressive ones seperated from the rest of the pack providing a lot more room........

the frags still WILL be glued to a rock like i always do......the rock will just be glued to one (or more)of these magnets........

...IF of course it proves safe

If it proves NOT safe......i have a bunch of magnets for sale if you know anyone interested(laugh)

OK riddle me this!!!! how are you gona put them on the sides..""" I want them for the ability to hang cool decent size stuff off the walls of my tanks without epoxy and damage to the acrylic walls........""" I get the idea of going nuts and re scaping all the time. Oh honey, how does it look here? no over here? what about here? I would NEVER be done!!!! I would have a chess game goin all the time, as my wife would be calling the loony wagen on me. If your going to use the mags through the walls, are they strong enough to hold and not slide? really screwing up the walls!, maybe felt on the outside, between the mag, maybe a bigger mag one the outside, to have more force, to hold the smaller one inside. Then again. what about electromagnetic power for the hole reef!!!!!! You could really have a show, flip a switch and have the hole thing hover!!!!!

Dang You!

The larger of the magnets i linked have enough strength to hold almost a half pound OUT of the water. I dont think sliding is an issue.

Besides, i either need to put some corals on the walls or get a bigger tank : )

OR a bigger crack pipe..........(laugh)

Like i said, the guy who i worked with on the phone did a experiment for me through 1/2" glass, out of the water. he had never heard of the concept so was curious himself.

What it comes down to is the point Joel brought up in concern to risk. we will see

The larger of the magnets i linked have enough strength to hold almost a half pound OUT of the water. I dont think sliding is an issue.

Besides, i either need to put some corals on the walls or get a bigger tank : )

OR a bigger crack pipe..........(laugh)

I would go with the Pipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!(scary) (scary) (scary) (scary) (clap) (clap)

And I'm liking the electomagnetis idea, calling junk yards now!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
I really like the idea of having colonies hanging off the wall.

so... If the magnet housing did crack what kind of effect would it have on the tank?

.....i dont know. I have just heard it would be bad so i make sure they wont leak.

I take a pice of acrylic thick enough to hold the magnet...........drill all the way through it......then use weld on to bond two pieces of acrylic to each side. No way it is going to leak.

What isnt pictured here is that after i cut the sealed magnets out of the sheet of magnets...i take my grinder and round them off.....then epoxy the substrate/rock whatever on...

But if anyone knows a specific answer to ringwurms question i would like to know myself.

magnetsglued.jpg

preglu.jpg

frragmag.jpg

DSC_1388.jpg