Remote Deep Sand Bed

drock59

I have been running my bare bottom tank for a few years now with pretty decent success. In the last few months or so I have noticed an increase in small patches of hair algae and an overall decrease in the number of "critters" in my tank.

I currently have a 75g main display, 40g fuge and 30g sump. I was considering putting a DSB into my 40g fuge and see if that helps my algae and critter problem.

I was thinking about a 5-6" bed with a korallia 4 blowing over the top.

Any thoughts, advise or anecdotes appreciated.

An RDSB is a great we to to de-nitrify, but will not help critters. It may help some with the algae.

I used an RDSB in my previous setup and kept it cryptic (no light). It was actually amazing to see the amount of life in a cryptic DSB. As you are planning, it is critical to have movement over the top of DSB. Also, keep the sand moving with snails (e.g. Nassarius)

You can see how I had mine setup - http://www.allensaquariums.com/reef/design.htm

I used a MAG12 to feed the RDSB and gravity to return it to the sump. I had a MaxiJet 1200 with a slightly modded output for DSB surface movement.

I have been using a RDSB for years. Never had an algae problem until I took it offline for a while. No problems since I got it back up and running. I run mine a little different from Rob. 24/7 lighting and lots of different macro algaes.

Jay

So you dont think it will help my pod population? When i said critters I meant worms, pods, etc.

What is the difference between having it lit versus no light. I just assumed I would have it lit for macro.

Rob it looks like you are running a real shallow sand bed in your display. How about you chief? Just curious if anyone has experience with RDSB on a barebottom.

Thanks for the replies.

My new setup will have a live rock compartment, dsb with raised live rock and macro on top of that. The DSB wil be virtually dark as the Macre will have light in the same compartment. I have made and used a sdsb in a 5 gal bucket before and it helped. But I also had a sump full of LV in it too. I used uniseals when I made the bucket.

• 4 weeks later...

I would recommend as much surface area as possible and about a 5-6" depth. Also like mentioned about make sure you have lots of sand sifting and stiring critters. I am probably going to use my 50g tub as a RDSB for my system. It is about 18" wide by 26" long and I will use a depth of right around 5" maybe a hair less.

Along with macro algae, good live rock, occasional carbon and GFO, and a good skimmer there really isn't a chance for much of any nutrient build up. Die nitrates and phosphates! DIE!

In terms of the choices you presented, I'd say the 20g w/5". Surface area is important in that you do need an interface for the tank water to change out with the denitrated water. Some amount of flow across that surface is imporatant, too. I would imagine that with the narrow, super deep bed you'd just get a big dead zone at the bottom.

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to have the sand bed and fuge in the same tub. Just have some (several inches?) sand in the bottom with the algae above it. The sand bed doesn't need light to do its thing, and between the algae and sand you'll have a good breeding ground for lots of pods and different kinds of life. Be sure to have a significant population of sand sifters in the sand bed to keep detritus from building up, and to keep from developing large pockets of toxins, etc. Gotta keep that sand stirred up somehow.

I liked mine cryptic as it exposed another world of marine life. I had quite a few ball anemones that just popped up out of no where after the RDSB had been in place for over a year. I will have to dig for pictures to see if I can find them.

I have a 75 cube bare bottom, 30 gal sump filled with live rock and 20 gal DSB/refugium, I tried a deeper DSB around 10-12" and I had bad results, the bottom got very cold and the sand even turned black from lack of flow. I would suggest around the 6" range. I redid mine to 6" and it works very well now. I have many pod eaters and the refugium/DSB helps with pod population. I have not had algae issues with this setup but I also run phosban as a precaution.