What heater for a 120G?

siskiou

That’s funny because most of the people trying to cool their aquariums down because of the heat that metal halide makes, So I think if you have 120 gl tank you need aaam 2 400w 20k” I prefer” with some VHO’s and you don’t need to worry about heating your tank, but you need to think about getting yourself a chiller specially with today’s weather :P And another thing “ from my experience’ usually at night when the light are off water temperature stays between 77-78 “ with out the chiller” and that’s where you want it too be. But if you still want to have a heater just for emergency’s 500 w Titanium Aquarium Heater with Controller is the way to go. On ebay you can get it for about 60US;) .

Looking at the upcoming heatwave, you might be right! :D

I'm looking at the future, though and we keep our house pretty cool during the winter.

LIghts will be T5s.

My 40G with 4 T5 bulbs gets to about 79-80 F during the day and drops to about 76 at night without the heater. The temp never goes much below 70 F in house at night, currently.

Any specific brands that are known to be reliable for the titanium heater?

you should get 2 smaller ones, I have had the larger short out and fry everything, I think I run 2-250 watters in my 200 gallons of water and it works fine. If you use 2 you have a much better chance of discovering the flaw before your fish are hard boiled.

that's why we all have chillers to chill water runing 2-250 on 200gl tank will do the trick but tha'ts about it. if you want to see stuff grow ect. butter stick with 400w the only flaw 400w have is the " ELECTRICAL BILL " HEHE DOUBLES UPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I don't use heaters at all, only to warm up my exchange water in the winter. I have never had a problem with tank swing, yes they do, summer 79 to 84. winter 76 to 81, all on a daily basis. Every one does it differently and has opinions to the same. I used to use them when i had a prop system in the garage, 5 tanks, 700 gal system, started it severall yearsw ago in winter when it was 28 outside, and had a 1/2 chiller for summer. ended up experimenting with the system and let it swing up to 10 degrees a day( no I don't recomend it for you) and found my hundreds of xenia and frags acually grew faster, and where more healthy! go figure. A perfect enviroment as in temp, IMO, is risky.If your heater, or chiller goes out, and your temp changes just a couple of degrees, after it has been set at the same temp, for like ever, your tank may freak out. Kinda like the parents that keep there babies all rapped up, and then just a couple of degrees less chills em.they get sick yada yada...... OK if ya gona get a heater, get a titanium, not glass

these are AWESOME!! The most reliable thermostat i have ever used without having a controller. Like already said, i also recommend two smaller ones. I run 2 250's on my 225 and 1 on my 90.

Just dont leave it plugged in and set it down on the carpet...........

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_heaters_won_brothers_pro-heat_titanium.asp?CartId=

I dunno at night my house gets 50 degrees, and I like it that way, I don't heat the house at night. I guess if you where to run heat in your house it don't matter, when it gets cold at night... it gets cold. I dont care if you run jet engines to light your tank during the day, its night time. When its cold you have to heat your tank, Everyone is entitled to an opinion, get a single Ti if you have the money. but if it shorts like mine did don't come crying when you come home to a 100 degree tank. I'm just saying you may want to split them up, so a a smaller one wont overheat Near as fast or possibly at all. You might want to ask a few more questions as far as what kinda temps her house holds in the winter.

I dunno at night my house gets 50 degrees' date=' and I like it that way, I don't heat the house at night. I guess if you where to run heat in your house it don't matter, when it gets cold at night... it gets cold. I dont care if you run jet engines to light your tank during the day, its night time. When its cold you have to heat your tank, Everyone is entitled to an opinion, get a single Ti if you have the money. but if it shorts like mine did don't come crying when you come home to a 100 degree tank. I'm just saying you may want to split them up, so a a smaller one wont overheat Near as fast or possibly at all. You might want to ask a few more questions as far as what kinda temps her house holds in the winter.[/quote']

Yeah, I was going to say, even at night, peoples house get below 74 degrees...that will cool the tank right down.

Nyles you might leave in an Arctica or somethign for the house to get 50c at night. You might think of gettign yourself a house heater too than :P not to get sick or somethign, dude we didnt even have that temperature In RUSIA ---and we supposed to have cold climat. " Plus if you have kids runing around the house " my suggestion is to keep it higher than 50 :(

Guys! It's okay! :D

Everyone needs to decide if they need a heater by seeing how far down the temp goes in the tank at night and if that's an acceptable temperature.

All I wanted to know was what brands are considered good nowadays since I haven't been in the market for a heater in a while! :)

The WON bros heaters linked have good reviews. That would be my bet, especially if you don't have a controller. I use a via aqua titanium and its been great. Even before i had the temp controller it held the temp real consistant. I would look into getting a Ranco temp controller though. Even though the via aqua heater has done good, the tank started looking noticably better once i had the controller.

BTW did you see that 90gal in the news paper? Had lights, rock, stand etc. It was in thursdays paper.

Im currently using the stealth submersibles, but I have never had problems with the ebo J's either.

Just try to stick with a decent brand, when they short out they usually just die, but I did have on get stuck on, it was about 12 years ago but still it was not pretty. It was a cheappo, I will never make that mistake again.