sump return pump

wobble

This may be a stupid question' date=' but is there any reason I shouldn't use a mj1200 for a return pump? (sump for a 29g display) I have a couple laying around and it just seems like a good cheap option.[/quote']

If it has the flow you want then go for it. Some people just like to have it adjustable flow style. I set up 2 tanks this way with powerheads as the return pumps. If the flow isn't what you want pm me as I have more pumps with higher and lower flow. You should be fine though, I think a MJ1200 is just about perfect for a 29g.

I use a mj1200 to pump mixed SW from a brute can into my 75g display during water changes. It flows pretty good at that height. The sump will be directly under the 29g tank, so it's about a 4 foot height. Hopefully it will be adequate flow to grow chaeto in the sump.

I use a mj1200 to pump mixed SW from a brute can into my 75g display during water changes. It flows pretty good at that height. The sump will be directly under the 29g tank' date=' so it's about a 4 foot height. Hopefully it will be adequate flow to grow chaeto in the sump.[/quote']

oh yea, it will work great. I did some tests with MJ1000 and MJ1200 during water changes and for a water change it seems the 1000 was a little better because it didn't blow the sand around too much. For a tank with water in it already a 1200 is a great fit.

I don't think the mj1200 is working very well. The flow is VERY weak into the display. I use a u-tube style overflow and it keeps filling up with bubbles and losing siphon. I think I need more flow. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Remember head loss is not just due to water height its also caused by friction, direction changes, water temperature (yes really), and a few other factors. Also you said "lieing around" so I assume they are used MJ1200's, possibly well used. The pump may not have the pressure and power that is used to.

Ya, I used the head loss calculator on RC and it says I'm only pushing 50gph. The mj1200 was only used for about a week prior to this application. I bought a couple with the sureflow 1600 mods for my 75g, but couldn't deal with the vibration noise, so I took them out and put my k4s back in.

Now I'm thinking either the Eheim 1048, Eheim 1250, Mag 2, or Mag 3. Using the calculator, that would put me 125-275 depending on which one I choose. I like the idea of having more flow come from the return pump so I could ditch my bulky k3 and go with something smaller. The overflow box, powerhead, and HOB skimmer are quite the eye sore in there. They just take up so much room in a small tank.