Help removing a haze and scratches to acrylic

catholicteacher

Pics of the tank and advice requested as to how to get rid of these 'stains.' I take it that these are calcium/ph related, I would like to stay away from breaking the tank down to get rid of this problem but I don't know what to do. Any advice? I was told by Tap Plastics that there would be no way that they know of to get rid of the haze with sandpaper without creating another haze to it. I guess if nothing else works and anyone else has another 55 gallon acrylic laying around I would be interested. This tank purchase has just been hell all around. I have had to replace the powerhead in the sump, the powerhead in the tank, replaced all the plumbing, replaced all the corroded hinges, restained and repainted the stand and canopy, and now the tank looks bad because of all the haze and scratches. I was told it was good to go and that it was well taken care, I am still trying to give the benefit of the doubt but I am highly suspect that the person selling me this didn't know all this crap was wrong with it. If I had money to replace the tank I would take it outside of my house, stick some dynamite in it and blow it up, but I can't even afford a buffing kit to fix it.

post-5633-141867773858_thumb.jpg

post-5633-14186777386_thumb.jpg

post-5633-141867773862_thumb.jpg

post-5633-141867773863_thumb.jpg

post-5633-141867773865_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

55 gallon acrylic. Brings back memories. I used the acrylic scratch remover on the inside of my tank (while up and running) after one of the neighborhood kids caught a few bits of sand up in the mag float. It left a HUGE scratch across the front. I was able to buff it out with the water still in it! I did it in small sections and kicked up the filtration...perhaps that might work for you. I have a acrylic buffing kit...lightly used. Let me know if interested.

Kris

PS. It was nice to meet you over the weekend.

• Like 1

Kris could you post the name of what you used? I have a few small scratches. I have been living with them thinking if I got ugly ones I would deal with them.

Its simply named "Acrylic Buffing Kit" or "Acrylic Scratch Removal Kit". It contains several "grits" of cloth like paper...and I am talking 1600 or 2400 and finer grit! I picked it up locally for about $30.00. I am sure that Tap or Multicraft Plastics would have one!

The work pretty good...but it takes a bit of elbow grease! Plus, if you use it inside the tank, you have to go in small bursts so the dust gets filtered out.

Kris