Boxfish

gmiller

I love the small (young) Cubicus boxfish - one of the coolest fish, but they get to be a foot and a half.

Have you considered an Hawian blue box fish or the Whitley's box fish? Those only get to about 6 inches.

I can't speak to the poisoning the tank when stressed or die, but I'm betting it's an overstated concern (scary). There are a lot of things that can foul the water if the die. But hopefully someone can give you some first hand insight.

If you do get a box fish, please post about it - I'd love to follow along and see how it goes.

I have had a cubicus for about 6 months. One of my favorite fish. Probably has the most personality of all my fish. eats right out of my hand.

I have read and been told by a few different folks that while the possibilty of releasing the toxin exists, its very rare.

This is the exact type I had. Was a great fish, but had a hard time competing for food. I had it in a reef tank and as long as I made sure he got food it was great. He got sucked against a pump for a few hours and a few days later he ended up dying. He was in a 29g so if he released any toxins then I think my tank would have been toast. It was one of my favorite fish and I would love to get another some day. I can't say he won't hurt the tank but mine didn't...

post-3173-141867742952_thumb.jpg

I have had quite a few of these straight from the ocean in Hawaii and they were probably 1 of the easiest fish to care for. I never had any problems with parasites, no problems with them competing for food, they were a great addition as a top water fish and were always a presence in the front of my tanks. I can't recall ever losing one and I probably owned over a dozen all together.

I would think it is just like the stories regarding sea hares and how they can crash your tank. I had one die in a 12g and left his body in there, mostly because my serpant starfish grabbed him and dragged him under all my rocks. Long story short, when I moved tanks, about a month later, I had no loss of fish or corals, and no body to dispose of. This is just my opinion as I am not educated in Boxfish and their toxins.