Lighting a 40B?

Algae

I think that for LPS and acans (also LPS), a single 250w would be fine if you have the right reflector.

LPS don't really need the intense over-saturation of light that SPS do better under. If they have too much light, then they tend to have less polyp extension and their colors fade or bleach a little.

This is just my oppinion, I don't have any experience with a 40b yet. I am working on setting one up for anemones. I already have an 8x39w T5HO TEK light for it. I am wondering if all eight lights will be overkill for the critters at first. We will see.

dsoz

Right now I'm kinda leaning towards 2 X 175 with fairly high Par and running some T-5's to get a little blue. I'll run a 29 or 40 sump which should help with cooling.

PS: Those t5's of Shawn's are a real grow light!

I think that for LPS and acans (also LPS), a single 250w would be fine if you have the right reflector.

This is just my oppinion, I don't have any experience with a 40b yet. I am working on setting one up for anemones. I already have an 8x39w T5HO TEK light for it. I am wondering if all eight lights will be overkill for the critters at first. We will see.

dsoz

i guess i didn't realize when you were over here that you wanted to run LPS, and not really SPS. i think your best bet would be to go with one single 250w over the center of the tank. you will have various lighting intensities for many different species if you go that way. as dennis said, make sure you get a good reflector, that is key to making your lights put out like you want them to. 250w bulbs are more plentiful, therefor give you more selection. IMO you should still consider the phoenix 14k, or if you go mogul, you can consider the radiums, either would eliminate the hassle of setting up t5 for actinics.

well i loved the 8 bulb 39 watt teklight i had over my 40b. and i will tell you i love the 2 175 watts halides i replaced the teklight with even more(laugh).my personal opinion a single 250 isnt enough for sps lps tank. i think it only throws like 2 feet not the full 3 so i guess iff all sps were in the centerish it would be great but i think the tank is better lit with 2 175s. 350 watts ftw. youl have to come check mine out sometime franklin.

I need to check out the 40, Shawn! I think that I'm going to run 2 X 175 "par buster" 15000k Iwasaki's and Geisman t-5 actinics to supplement. I wanted to use a tar ballast from Garret, for a good deal. The Iwasaki however, does it's stepping out with electronic.

I've been looking at doing this modified coast-to-coast/Calfo internal overflow.

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

youl have to come check mine out sometime franklin.

Originally, I was thinking about this type of overflow. Then I hit the previously mentioned overflow and was impressed by the numbers it could flo!. Then again, I am a Low Flow Sump Kinda Guy (there is a medication for those of us, so challenged) and this might be the ticket. I remember how I liked it when I first spied it.

Do this type of overflow. It rocked on Mikes tank!!

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7000