looking for an anemone

littlenano

Did you know that carpets can get HUGE!

Even BTAs can get as big as a foot across. If it is going into a nano, you need to watch the interactions with the other corals.

I have waited two years, but my clowns just started hosting corals. Frogspawn and hammer corals look a lot like anemones, and many clowns will host them as well.

dsoz

Did you know that carpets can get HUGE!

Even BTAs can get as big as a foot across. If it is going into a nano, you need to watch the interactions with the other corals.

I have waited two years, but my clowns just started hosting corals. Frogspawn and hammer corals look a lot like anemones, and many clowns will host them as well.

dsoz

I have a Bright Pink BTA that is about 1/3 the length of my 72 Bowfront, when it open fully. So thats what 15"-18" across?

Kleen ur k9 & aquarium supply has a 5 to 7 inch rose in stock 360-210-5306 we are in washougal wa we also have lot of frags & zoo of color red ' date='blues green & othermis colors[/quote']

Have patience Mark! Your Sponsor thread should be up soon. We can move your post to it as soon as it is set up! Welcome to PNWMAS as one of our Sponsors!

John Manrow (everyone - please bear with us!... we are working on adding 3 new Sponsors!)

did you find something yet?

I know you said you were looking for bubble tip or carpet, but I do have to find a new home for my purple long tentacle. Its beautiful, but I don't have the clown fish that use to live there any longer.

I did not find one yet. I don't think i will be going to portland for a couple of weeks though

i'm a die hard anemone in reef tank hater :D, i'm with dsoz there are other options, that can't walk around your tank and sting your corals, or block your overflow, or get stuck in a powerhead, etc, etc. Frogspawns, hammers, bubbles, pearls, there are even some shrooms that look like rose bubble tip anemones, all of these clowns will host in. (http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productCart/pc/showsearchresults.asp?idcategory=0&idSupplier=10&priceFrom=0&priceUntil=999999999&sku=&keyWord=st+thomas&customfield=0&resultCnt=5&order=2&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&Submit=Search+)

Be forewarned, anemones are not all they are cracked up to be. The only way I would have an anemone is if it was in a species specific tank.

but we all have different opinions. I have a Green Bubble Tip in my reef tank, yes I have lost a couple corals to it, but I feel those were my fault. In my experience, and this means nothing else, by feeding the anemone regularly and placing in a good flow good light area, it hasn't moved in over 2 years. Even when I moved the tank from SoCal to here it stayed attatched to the same rock the whole time, and has stayed there ever since. I am NOT saying that it wont move. Just simply saying it hasn't, and now I feel false sense of security in thinking that I understand and know what I am doing. Again, this is just how my experiences have gone. I am currently housing the green bubble tip and intend on picking up a rose very soon for the same tank. Along with my cheap and expensive coral mix and additional corals to come

Ah yes, there are always success stories, and for the most part anemones stay put, its just the plain and simple fact of their potential. I have seen them get into everywhere they are not wanted and sting the only thing that mattered haha. Don't get to comfortable ca2or, now that you went and opened your mouth, your going to come home and your duncans will be all but skeleton, chalk it up, anemone one duncan's zero ;). I must say though, that what I have to say right here and now is not opinion, but a simple fact: Anemones can, and do move, can and do sting corals, can and do sting fish(in worst case eat them too), can and do block overflows. I have heard of people having an anemone in one place for 5 years, only to come home to a tank flooding their house due to an anemone crawling into an overflow(through 1/2in slots). Having an anemone is like gambling, the odds are stacked against you. I can't afford to gamble with my corals

The only way I would have an anemone is if it was in a species specific tank.

This is what I am setting up now. I will have two 40b tanks, one for RBTAs and maroon clowns, the other as a refugium/sump. I plan on feeding the BTAs often so that they split frequently. I am hoping to sell the clones like Izzypop does, every couple of months have 3 to 4 for sale, and help support my reefing habbit.

The only other coral that I may have in the tank with the BTAs is xenia. It will add some movement and contrast. Also it will serve as nutrient export.

Besides, I have two small RBTAs in my display (they will soon be in the 40b), and what have my clowns decided to host? The frogspawn... Stupid clowns.

dsoz

I was not argueing with you Mrgreenthumb, simply sharing my experience. And as I said I was NOT saying that his or my anemone wont move, just that mine hasn't. I too have heard my share of horror stories about anemone's. One guy I remember had a rose bubble tip. He put all these high end corals on the top of his rock work, his rose decided it wasn't happy there anymore and proceeded to, initially float around his tank and kill a few things on the way, but that wasn't the bad part, he settled on the top right side of his tank and rock work. Then he moved all the way back to where he started, killing everything on the way.

This is what I am setting up now. I will have two 40b tanks, one for RBTAs and maroon clowns, the other as a refugium/sump. I plan on feeding the BTAs often so that they split frequently. I am hoping to sell the clones like Izzypop does, every couple of months have 3 to 4 for sale, and help support my reefing habbit.

The only other coral that I may have in the tank with the BTAs is xenia. It will add some movement and contrast. Also it will serve as nutrient export.

Besides, I have two small RBTAs in my display (they will soon be in the 40b), and what have my clowns decided to host? The frogspawn... Stupid clowns.

dsoz

haha thats classic! Happens all to frequently.......lol stupid clowns.

Ca2or, i know you weren't arguing, I just feel the need to be very specific in what I say since they can be such a potential hazard.