My 12g nano with water paremeters need advice

CA2OR

Here is my 12g

0108091809.jpg

and

Jan13tank.jpg

I did a recent test on my water and treated for the PH issue but still need to retest it. As for the rest here it is please advise on issues you see

PH-7.6 before adding buffer

Nitrite-0

Nitrate-80

Amonia-.25

Phosphate-.5

ALK-143-8

Calc-420

The ammonia is not good. Where is it coming from? Are you missing anything that should be moving around in there? Have you counted all of your snails lately?

Also the phosphate is not good. That can lead to some serious algae growth in the near future if you are not careful. With phosphate readings like that I would not use some of that sand in your new tank.

I would say that you need to start doing frequent water changes. No more than 25-50% as often as 3 times a week until those numbers go down.

dsoz

How big was it? I have seen some that were as small as 1 inch, and I have seen some that were as big as my fist!!!

It really could be the source of the ammonia. I don't think that it would be the source of the nitrate and phosphate. Those tend to be longer term problems than just one dead animal.

Get on those water changes. Also, if you still have not gotten that seahare out of your tank, try to find it and get it out.

dsoz

I would start doing water changes. Maybe 4g's everyday until ammonia and nitrate are zero. If your really ambitious you could do 4g's twice a day. Buffer the new salt water to the appropriate pH before it hits the tank, then start keeping up on your alk more often.

JMO

Your nitrates are pretty high. How deep is your sand bed? Needs to be 3 inches minimum. Mine is as much as 8 inches in places but my tank is much bigger. Is there a refugium in your system? If not get one. This will go a long way to keeping your water parameters in line. Haveing more sand will help keep your PH higher also. Is your skimmer performing well? Enough cant be said about water changes in a small tank like yours. Also dont overfeed the tank. Keep the fish on the hungary side for a few weeks till your parameters look better. I would avoid any flake or pellet type foods and stay with frozen mysis shrimp and some shredded/chopped jumbo shrimp. Also it is absolutly imparitive that you defrost any cubed mysis or other frozen foods on a folded up paper towel before feeding the tank. You will be surprised how much phosphate juice is stored in a cube of food.

Always run 1-2 cups of carbon ad change it once a week. Dripping kalkwasser (limewater) in your tank at night will help keep the PH from swinging and raise it up where it needs to be. In a small tank like your be careful when useing kalkwasser so that you dont overshoot the 8.3 - 8.4 ph you want to keep. Dripping kalk will improve your skimmers performance and its been said will help lower your phosphates. Keep in mind this what I have read over the years a few times. I guess I have never actuallt tested to see if phosphates were lowered from useing kalkwasser.

Whew....that was some typeing...hunt & peck style...(laugh)

I cant spell either so dont make fun of my 5th grade spelling (scratch)

Jay

Nice looking nano tank you have there. Are those giant zoo polyps or those rediculasly expensive duncan corals I have seen people talking about?

hope this helps you some

Well I need to retest my water, I did a 5g change last night and plan on doing another one tonight. I use water I get from Fred Myers water machines inside, I do not have a refugium nor a skimmer, I know bad reefer, it's a bad reefer. Replaced my carbon yesterday before the meet. Yes those are the "rediculasly expensive duncan corals".DOH! Got them on a trade. Was only like 1 and a half head now it is between 7 and 9. But you really only see 5 in the pictures. I will keep on water changes, and I will try and retest my water tomorrow. The tank cylcled for almost 18 months before I put anything at all in there. As for overstocking, I am guilty. :DI have been trying to reduce the feeding, but it is hard with 2 women that like to watch them eat.DOH! From what I was told they were fed flake today, I have mysis, krill, artic pods for frozen or cooled. I will start feeding that only. Is any of this something that might be fixed when I move to new tank?

A lot of it will be helped when getting into a bigger system, but none of it will go away completely. More volume helps things stay more stable, but you have to keep on your testing and adjusting(threaten) so you keep them perfect. I think a big one is the stocking/feeding levels. The 36g will help provided you don't throw a bunch more fish in right away. I'm sure the 36g will have its own set of issues soon enough(laugh)

Well I am not so interested in housing more fish. I mean, sure I will probably pick up a fish or 2 but my interest is in corals. Ah....who am I kidding I am sure I will pick up a couple fish. I would like to get maybe a watchman goby pistol shrimp couple, or a small tang, and would love to get a wrasse if possible. But I would settle for even one of those. To be honest I will probably want to get rid of the 2 chromes and pick up 2 more clowns.