DIY Reactor

andy

I'm building a simple Phosban reactor, not much more than a acrylic tube sealed off at both ends. I'd like to put both Phosban and Carbon sections in it -- any problems putting both Phosban and Carbon in the same tube? Each media would be in it's own filter bag, and separated by a filter-floss disk.

Also, how much flow do I want through this little bugger? Would an Eheim 1250 (300gph) be over the top? I am planning on putting a ball-valve in-line, but still... don't want to overkill *too* much (scratch)

To much flow for both of them, I would go with something closer to 100gph or less. I used a maxijet 1200 with my Phosban reactor and carbon and it was tumbling in there very nicely and I thought it was going great. Well after a week or so I started to notice a black dust all over the tank, well I come to find out the the flow is breaking up the carbon. So, less is better, but the problem is try to maintain the flow.

Yeah my Phosban reactor is only running off a Micro 404 which is adjustable from like 20gph-100gph (Something like that) Seems to work great. I dont think you need more than 100GPH like Rich said.Later ryan

Cool. Do you actually want the Phosban and carbon to roll around from the flow. I thought that I read somewhere that Phosban pulverizes easily and shouldn't roll around much, but I may misremembering...